1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Where to start

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dunivan, Jun 4, 2013.

1. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

+1. The biggest issue is getting the correct fit (regular / slim / extra slim) and the sizing guide is helpful here. It's doubtful returns would be necessary but if they are CT's returns policy is great.

2. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Well-Known Member

Arrgh. It's hardly about fit. It is about duplication and satisfaction. The latter takes a while to determine. Buy an item from a respectable brand and eventually decide he does not like it much -> x4 is not a good idea.

Edit: whether or not Charles Tyrwhitt quietly has such a policy, some retailers penalize customers who return a high rate of purchases, which adds an extra risk to buying a batch of items as like-or-return.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  3. archibaldleach

The problem is that shirts are one of those things where you need a decent amount pretty quickly. With suits the idea of buying two and rotating to see how they work for a few weeks before adding additional ones to the rotation (if OP needs to wear a suit daily) can work pretty well and makes a lot of sense. With shirts, he's going to need at least 5 dress shirts in short order and there's just no way around this. He could buy a shirt from multiple different brands but this hardly seems practical. Here we're talking about $160 at risk for a brand that's generally seen as having decent quality for a $40-$50 shirt, which is less than OP is likely to be risking on a single suit.

FWIW, I've also never had any issues returning items to Charles Tyrwhitt. I don't see OP being penalized even if he does need to make returns.

4. mensimageconsultant

Why assume he has no wearable dress shirts or needs everything fast? Anyway, there will be sales at other reputable menswear stores, including Brooks Brothers. For shirts, Paul Fredrick and Jos. A. Bank are passable and often on sale (PF has a new customer dress shirt offer). Also, for image management, two caveats: French cuffs regularly likely would look ostentatious on a new attorney, and exclusively European dress shirts could get a backlash if noticed.

5. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

How would one notice he is wearing shirts from a European brand?

Re: single vs. double cuffs
    This is an argument for Charles Tyrwhitt over TM Lewin. TM Lewin shirts are very often available only in double cuff, while CT offers a single cuff option on pretty much every shirt they offer.

6. archibaldleach

BB even on sale tends to be more expensive than the CT offer and he's on a budget. OP said that he was looking for help building a wardrobe / starting out, which I took to mean he doesn't have too much other than what he told us about. If he's working, he'll need a decent amount of dress shirts. If he doesn't need shirts right now, he has some more time (though adding a few from CT, if he does not already have shirts from there, would reduce "duplication").

+1. We're also talking about $40 shirts, not some $300 luxury shirt.

7. mensimageconsultant

The label is very unlikely to be seen. That leaves clothing discussion, at work. If asked, "I get my shirts from Charles Tyrwhitt" might come across as uppity. More likely to be asked due to dressing well. Maybe it would go better as, "I get my shirts from Charles Tyrwhitt - it has great sales" :)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  8. dunivan

dunivan Member

Since we are on shirts, how does Modern Tailor compare to say CT or BB? I like the CT look but am worried about sizing after reading some threads. The deal, however, seems awesome!

They seem affordable and custom made, but the prices seem too good to be true.

9. archibaldleach

Proceed at your own risk with online MTM. If you get everything right, it can be wonderful but we see a lot of disasters on here as well. If you are going to try online MTM, I would only do one shirt at a time until you get your pattern right and be sure you are not getting shitty cloth.

10. dunivan

dunivan Member

Ok, I think I got it.

First things first - I am going to a tailor on saturday to alter a suit I bought online so I will get him to take all my measurements.

I am going to try a Modern Tailor shirt, to see the quality and hopefully get a feel for "proper fit" - all my clothing now is OTR, but the JAB suits were measured and seem to fit really well.

I think my next suit will be my "upgraded suit" as archibald suggested - depending on how my MTM experience goes, it may be Black Lapel, but OTR Brooks Bros will be a close #2.

I've been soaking up the site a little bit and see references to black tie rigs, i'm not there yet, but can you really eff that up? Isn't a tux "in style" for a while if you go the trad route?

And my last noob question - anyone with opinions on tie bar ties for the conservative tie game?

11. archibaldleach

So easy to get right but so easy to fuck up. Go to www.blacktieguide.com, follow the advice there, and you will not fuck it up. Feel free to ask for more advice on a tuxedo and search around the forum when the time comes, but I don't want to turn this into a black tie thread if you're not there yet.

12. dunivan

dunivan Member

thanks archibald and to all others for the insight.

is there an area of dress that the newer folks to it kind of miss or don't think of? for me I think its shoes, but I don't really consider ties/belts that much. Any insight on that?

13. eluther

eluther Well-Known Member

What sort of prissy junior high do you go to? When (and it happens very rarely) people ask where I got something, I tell them honestly. I don't buy brands to tell people about them and I don't buy brands to not tell people about them. I buy things that fit me well and are well made.

If you want to act like this idea of "satisfaction" is such an important thing that you advise against buy multiples of anything (yes, I too understand the laws of marginal utility), shouldn't you understand the satisfaction of buying something well-made that you love and feel good in? Isn't that much more important than having to have some cheesy-ass line like, "I get my shirts at CT - they have great sales!"? If anything, admitting that you only buy your clothing because of the price interjects something that didn't previously exist into the conversation. They didn't ask you how much it cost. Why bring it up?

1 person likes this.
  14. sparrow

sparrow Well-Known Member

some people get jelous and its avoiding problems. more true among people you have to see everytday like coworkers.
    people will spend $500-600 a month on a car payment but cannot understand that you would pay over 20 for pants or anything past gap prices is too much
    if he has a passive personality it works out better

15. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

+1000

16. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

Then those people shouldn't be asking for the label of your shirts. If they do, then any resulting jealously is a result of their own stupidity.

17. archibaldleach

+1.

18. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

others said about buying too much too early which is true, however do start buying some and and trying stuff out instead of just reading
    like Thomas J. Watson said "If you want to succeed, double your failure rate" ;) My warderobe is so decimated I can afford few mistakes.
    Because if something sucks real bad I can degrade it to home/uber_casual and still looks good enough by realworld standards.
    I learned a lot from buying stuff that was short of ideal. Maybe though sticking to sales/outlet/thrift store is a good idea cause it's money :)
    We won't get it right the first time, so accept failure along the way. I think as a fellow noobie this approach serves me well. I'm doing lots of reading&research in between, but honestly I wouldn't wanna wait few months/years(I think it would take me half a decade of extensive research to catch up with guys like NOBD :S ) before buying new clothes because I need improvement asap, goodluck!!!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  19. mensimageconsultant

Because many people probably assume that a British-sounding (or European-sounding) brand is expensive and that an American who buys mostly European brands is a clothes horse. For some kinds of lawyers, image is extremely important.

To dunivan, belt and tie quality aren't big issues, provided the materials are non-synthetic and belts probably not reversible. Looks matter more. Tasteful tie patterns, ties not satin/very shiny for daytime, dress belts with dress shoes, the right proportions, etc.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  20. dunivan

dunivan Member

+1