• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to start

Jacinto

Reaction score
So I just graduated college and now got my first job out of college. After being here for a little bit it came to my attention that I really am not great with style. I have always just thrown on a tshirt and jeans. So I want to slowly change my style. I am not one to wear suits yet but I kinda want to start wearing some nice buttondown and khakis. So in the end my question is were would you recommend I start going to buy some new cloths on a budget. also in a button down shirt what am I looking for in fit. Should it be lose should it be tight? Also if I am wearing a button down shirt 5 days a week how many do you think I need 10? Thanks for helping me out.

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The forum would most likely recommend you start on DAFS.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also start by not submit to the groupthink or follow everything members (senior or otherwise) claim to be the "rules" of dressing well. Consider what they say then make your up own mind. Lots of valuable tips and information here especially for business dress, but keep in mind where their stylistic influences may come from.

bluesdance

Reaction score
Sources like GQ and Details have published useful web sites and books on how to start a wardrobe that may run counter to Styleforum wisdom but are nonetheless a good place to get started. I find the blog Dappered to be quite useful as a way of translating the very pricy styles of Styleforum or GQ to an average human being's budget. Keep in mind that i am not a regular SF poster but I have read many threads here (long time lurker).

Also, it's possible that your current stylistic shifts may be better suited to Streetwear & Denim (which is much less "street" than you might be picturing), so lurk there a little and maybe you will see something you like.

Jay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jacinto
So I just graduated college and now got my first job out of college. After being here for a little bit it came to my attention that I really am not great with style. I have always just thrown on a tshirt and jeans. So I want to slowly change my style. I am not one to wear suits yet but I kinda want to start wearing some nice buttondown and khakis. So in the end my question is were would you recommend I start going to buy some new cloths on a budget. also in a button down shirt what am I looking for in fit. Should it be lose should it be tight? Also if I am wearing a button down shirt 5 days a week how many do you think I need 10? Thanks for helping me out.

Quick answers:
  • The number of shirts you need depends on how often you do laundry. I would say 6 minimum, but you should add more to have variety to your wardrobe. Your shirts should not be tight or loose, they should just fit closely and comfortably to your body. Finding shirts that fit properly will take time.
  • Buy your clothes on eBay and at discount retailers like Marshalls, T.J. Maxx, Loehmann's, Filene's Basement, etc.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ten shirts is a safer number. Don't buy all at once.

Also, don't start with eBay. Discount retailers are a good idea, though. More information calls for more specifics.

Fitted is the general way to go, but the best fit for an individual depends on his physical features, circumstances, etc. More information calls for more specifics.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads