• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to start for my first pair?

The Thai Gent

Reaction score
I just took another look at Grenson. Their Indian made shoes are far more expensive than Barker and Loake Indian made shoes. You can get inexpensive Indian GYW's from Jones. Their G Two range look like Hudson or Bertie shoes from Dune/Office or whoever owns the brand. Their top end ranges had kudos 10 to 15 years ago, was it Rose and Masterpiece?
Masterpiece, I think. Because it was renamed to G-ZERO collection a few years ago. The Rose was renamed to G-One.

The Thai Gent

Reaction score
Is it still by hand? Assembled in the UK? Because the uppers are done in India doesn't that allow Loake less overhead and better control for pricing, hence low prices?

I had to take a second look at Oliver Sweeney, because of your comment, and they look sketchy by trying to appeal to people with using "good construction" methods and marketing, but using poor poor materials. From others I read from, they do seem to be of low quality and a shady bunch to say the least. I don't think they should be recommended on this forum anymore.

Well now I'm seriously considering Barker/Grenson and Loake not being to far behind. I do want quality for the money, and not some over marketed crap such as PaulEvans. I still want that Carlos Santos patina look.

Grenson seems to be a step up from AE too?

I do not have comment about Barker because I do not own any, but I can give you my opinion on Grenson. When compared to other British makers, my pair of Grenson shoes tends to have a more country/casual vibe to them. I guess it is because of the thicker welt and sole. In terms of quality, the pair I have from their old G-Zero collection is good but not great when compared to brands like Carmina - leather quality is good but level of finishing isn’t quite there yet, in my humble opinion.

As for Loake, I highly recommend their Export grade collection. Very good shoes for the price.

Bespokeplad

Reaction score
Wrong answer. Jeffrey West shoes should make you feel vaguely nauseous and full of existential dread at the idea that people actually buy those things and wear them in public.

I was being sarcastic with that statement lol.

Would a patina like this be to much for an office setting?

gennaro_cognac-1200x952.jpg

I guess it is because of the thicker welt and sole.

That's exactly what I don't want.

Any experience with CNES? As for jfitzpatrick, I am skeptical with the entry level shoes for "Jline" being Goodyearwelted at that price point. Which could also mean his other line probably isn't that great, quality wise.

I found this brand https://eu.velasca.com/ and they seem to be very good.

The Thai Gent

Reaction score
I was being sarcastic with that statement lol.

Would a patina like this be to much for an office setting?

View attachment 1409253

That's exactly what I don't want.

Any experience with CNES? As for jfitzpatrick, I am skeptical with the entry level shoes for "Jline" being Goodyearwelted at that price point. Which could also mean his other line probably isn't that great, quality wise.

I found this brand https://eu.velasca.com/ and they seem to be very good.

I have a pair from both CNES and JFitzpatrick. Between the two, I would choose CNES because I like the aesthetics of CNES more. But having said that, JFitzpatrick shoes are pretty solid. I have had them for 3 years without any issues. 200usd for GYW is definitely possible if you outsource to countries such as Spain and Portugal (and places in Asia).

I have heard of Velasca but have never seen them in person so I don’t think I can comment on that.

I know that this might be over your budget but I think its worth taking into consideration. Check out Y by Yeossal or Sons of Henrey Oct-Tenth range (judging from the aesthetics, I presume they are made by the same factory in China). They go for about 600usd but what you are getting is well beyond the price you are paying for. I have never ever seen RTW shoes at this price point that have as many bespoke features as these - you name it - extremely distinct shape which could only be achieved by hand lasting, hand welted, fiddleback waist, pitched heels, (Yeossal offers free lasted shoe trees with your purchase until end of this month) etc. Leather is sourced from reputable European tanneries.I only have a pair from Yeossal but I suspect that getting one from Sons of Henrey will likely yield the same quality.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads