• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to spend, where to save?

Classified_

Reaction score
I'm on the process of rebuilding my wardrobe and before I go and start collecting items, I wanted to ask you guys where is the best to spend and where can you save.

So naturally, Jackets, Shoes, Blazers - Spend.

However, I'm having a tough time deciding on Knits, Sweaters, T Shirts, Shirts, Denim/Chinos, Shorts.
I've browsed many shops during the weekend, didn't buy anything, just window shopping to see some styles.

I know most here wear Uniqlo for basics, tried some stuff one, T shirts, shirts, chinos and genuinely didn't like it, sizes too big and fits are really loose for my taste.
I'm not gonna go crazy and spend £70 on a T shirt or £130 for shorts.

Went to Topman tried on some chino shorts, great colours and fit, but quality seems poor...

Willing to spend up to £150 for a good pair of denim and up to £100 for shirts.
I'd love to get recommendations from you guys if I'm thinking clearly or if I need to choose items differently.

Thanks

Last edited:

Delanho

Reaction score
Rather than look for alternatives that will allow you to buy inexpensive tees etc etc... Imo I find its possible to find the designers you really want at a good enough price on grailed ebay forums etc.

lineate

Reaction score
You live in London?

Don't mess with shops like H&M or topman or Zara. You'll quickly look like a student as the pieces fall apart on you.

If you're really trying to thrifty, I feel like you should give Uniqlo another go ... they great for jeans, chinos, and t-shirts, especially if you're slim.

You should get the "premium" Pima cotton tees, though, at a whopping £9 a pop rather than the £4 ones in the packets. I have some that are years old and still kept their shape nicely.

If you're into a more Classic denim, the big levis flagship on regent street has a wide selection of cuts and washes and stuff. You could go to selfridges, but I honestly think the amount of choice there is overwhelming unless you've already got a strong brand preference.

Top of your budget, go to acne or apc on Dover Street. Jeans run about £170 at acne but if you're a slim guy and want something fitted ... You won't find more lovely jeans.

APC has fantastic basics all around, great shirts, jumpers, jackets and coats.

Check Reiss. They do great jumpers, chinos, and other smart casual things at a reasonable price. Also, if you need a suit, Reiss punches way above its price for the quality.

Bit more casual? Go to Lambs Conduit Street on Saturday and check out the shops there. Folk, Oliver Spencer, Grenson all have shops and the boutiques stock good brands like our legacy and things of that ilk.

Classified_

Reaction score
Thanks, great recommendations here!

I'm really skinny, 28 waist and I wear small so for jeans and chinos I go for Skinny/Slim only, just looks better on me. I find myself tapering many of the skinny jeans I buy actually because I'm just so skinny it all looks really loose on me. I don't wear spray ons though.

So I've actually tried some Acne and it was loose for me, I can get a nice one and taper it, the quality is indeed very very good and seems like they are worth the price.

Regarding basics, tried Uniqlo, unfortunately, I didn't like the fits and sizes, I wear XS and it's still loose on me, I've had great experience with BLK DNM T shirts and I have one Sunspel T-Shirt which looks great as well, Selected Homme also have great T shirts so I think I'm covered there.

I never shop at H&M or Zara, cheap stuff and bad quality.

I have tried some APC pieces at Selfridges but haven't found something quite to my taste yet, I will definitely make a trip to their brand shop after the next salary comes in for some good items and go to Conduit as well.

I have found NN.07 to be pretty good, got 2 chinos and a jumper, prices are a bit high but fits are great, so is the quality.

Reiss is a good brand, quality is great, I actually have £240 to spend there as I bought a blazer and replaced it, so I can use that for a few good knits/jumpers.

What I really need is shirts. I had 2 which got shrunk in dry cleaning and the rest are quite old and just don't fit. As I said I'm skinny so I need a shirt that's slim and cut close to the body, can't stand the ones that have the fabric folding out from every direction when you tuck them in.

Same for Chino shorts, again skinny/slims, saw some nice colors at Topman but quality is bad... Fabric is really rough.

Lastly - an unstructured blazer, for casual wear, I have seen this nice one from Aspesi for £220 at Mr Porter:

http://www.mrporter.com/en-us/mens/aspesi/navy-unstructured-linen-blazer/509084

Don't know this brand, is it worth the price?

Thanks!

Last edited:

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just go avant garde/goth ninja now to save money and time. Your 20's? When your about 30's you will be on this path

Classified_

Reaction score
I'm 29, nearly 30s :) got money, just want to know how to spend it well is all

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you can't go wrong with avant garde/slight goth ninja because when its black it goes together. :nodding:

suprememen

Reaction score
Hey there! I really think that when it comes to basics you shouldn't look at the brand, you should be interested more in the fabrics, so look for cotton tees that will last and that can be easily washed or cleaned. Invest in a leather jacket, a nice wool suit and wool blazers and for the jeans maybe try Nudie, they got great denim and that'll last for ages. For the shirts, the best thing to do would be to find a tailor that will craft them after measuring you, it can be expensive but this way you are sure you'll have the perfect fit and the fabric that you want.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics