• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to shop/where to dine in Finland and Estonia?

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
Greetings,

Next month I will be in Tallinn and Helsinki for about 6 days each.

I would appreciate any suggestions regarding shops to check out and/or restaurants to try.

While I won't have much to spend, what I have will go farther given the current positive $/Euro exchange rate. :)

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For more or less tailored apparel I would suggest these:

-Stockmann, a large department store
-Solo For Men, a large, specialized selection
-Fere, a small high-end store with the finest makers
-Vaatturiliike Sauma, a tailoring store with an interesting selection of Italian makers
-E.R. Wahlman, a specialized hat store

All of these have websites with more or less info in english.

For additional info:
http://dresslikea.com/tagged/helsinki/chrono

Do let me know if I can help you further. Welcome to the North!

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score

For more or less tailored apparel I would suggest these:

-Stockmann, a large department store
-Solo For Men, a large, specialized selection
-Fere, a small high-end store with the finest makers
-Vaatturiliike Sauma, a tailoring store with an interesting selection of Italian makers
-E.R. Wahlman, a specialized hat store

All of these have websites with more or less info in english.

For additional info:
http://dresslikea.com/tagged/helsinki/chrono

Do let me know if I can help you further. Welcome to the North!

Thank you for the information. I assume these are all in Helsinki?

Jamesgatz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For restaurants I would suggest Savoy for views and interior, Chez Dominique for Michelin-starred (two) dining, Farang or Gaijin for popular Asian fusion food, Muru for a bistro-type experience, La Torrefazzione for coffee, and Kämp terrace for people spotting and beer / wine. All are located more or less at the centre of Helsinki and most have a website in English. Welcome!

Last edited:

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score

For restaurants I would suggest Savoy for views and interior, Chez Dominique for Michelin-starred (two) dining, Farang or Gaijin for popular Asian fusion food, Muru for a bistro-type experience, La Torrefazzione for coffee, and Kämp terrace for people spotting and beer / wine. All are located more or less at the centre of Helsinki and most have a website in English. Welcome!

Thank you very much for the detailed information. I am always looking for new gastronomic experiences when I am abroad.

I am guessing that Tallinn will not have much to offer given the dearth of info so far. I wonder if there are any Estonians on the board. :eh:

Jamesgatz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't encountered a single Estonian here.

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know we have one active member from Estonia, but can't recall his nickname.

There is one fine store in Tallinn, Estonia, called Classic Boutique. If they're still up and runing, CB sells C&J shoes and similar quality garments, but I've only read about them, never visited. The address is Nunne 5, in the old town of Tallinn.

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score

I know we have one active member from Estonia, but can't recall his nickname.

There is one fine store in Tallinn, Estonia, called Classic Boutique. If they're still up and runing, CB sells C&J shoes and similar quality garments, but I've only read about them, never visited. The address is Nunne 5, in the old town of Tallinn.

Thanks again for the tip. In any event, I will report back on what I find in Tallinn.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I know nothing about this store other than I bought a pair of Tricker's from the factory shop that were originally a custom make-up for them.
Anyway, they're in Tallinn.
http://www.sfaar.ee/store/?lang=en

Jamesgatz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another restaurant recommendation: Olo has been a rising star in recent years and taps into popularity of new Scandinavian cuisine made famous by Noma. Located near the Esplanade park in the middle of Helsinki.

For a popular tourist culinary experience grab some Baltic herring for lunch or pancakes for breakfast at the Helsinki market square.

Quantimil

Reaction score
For my recommendation for a restaurant, the Sea Horse makes some quintessentially Finnish foods very well.

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
I greatly appreciate all the help.

A not entirely unrelated question, what is the summer (i.e., June) warm weather typically like - humid or dry?

It is already uncomfortably sticky in the DC metro region and I would love a break from it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads