• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

where to shop in manhattan?

handle76

Reaction score
i will be in nyc on biz next week for the first time in two years. i will have one free day to do as i please and would love some recommendations on where to shop and/or browse. i am interested in things such as ties, socks, shoes, pocket squares, belts, knitwear and summer weight trousers. also, fine writing instruments. thanks all,

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by handle76
i will be in nyc on biz next week for the first time in two years. i will have one free day to do as i please and would love some recommendations on where to shop and/or browse. i am interested in things such as ties, socks, shoes, pocket squares, belts, knitwear and summer weight trousers. also, fine writing instruments. thanks all,

Make sure you take a trip to Bergdorf Goodman. The whole 57th and 5th area is awesome.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
Make sure you take a trip to Bergdorf Goodman. The whole 57th and 5th area is awesome.

+1 on Bergdorf Goodman. When it comes down to it, that is the store, my #2 is Barneys, but it's a distant #2. I don't even bother with Saks anymore.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bergdorf is nice, but I think department stores generally make for a bland shopping experience. Venanzi, Jay Kos, and J. Press are some interesting boutiques you might want to drop by for clothes and accessories.

gilwood

Reaction score
Alden shoes on 44th and madison (right next to a brooks brothers).
Crockett & Jones shoes @ turnbull & asser on 57th and madison.
APC jeans shop on 131 mercer st. near broadway & prince.
Tom Ford store 845 Madison Ave @ 71st.

Most important thing is to check the hours. Most of these fancy pants places close by 6pm.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Bergdorf is nice, but I think department stores generally make for a bland shopping experience. Venanzi, Jay Kos, and J. Press are some interesting boutiques you might want to drop by for clothes and accessories.

But BG is a temple for mens clothing! In 20 paces you won't turn the coroner and run into women's clothing. They have their own building
lol8[1].gif

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check Leffot for shoes. BG is hit or miss, just depends on what you are looking for. The selection at Barneys has gone the way of their fortunes; Saks also. Pual Stuart is nice.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If Black Fleece is your thing, go to 346 madison flagship, they have the best selection of any BB store. While you're there, you can drop in Paul Stuart and Press too.

davidsj

Reaction score
I find the Madison Avenue stores and the stores between 5th Ave. and Madison Ave to be the nicest. For instance, you'll find a Kiton and Brioni store if you're interested in stopping in. .

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Add Paul Stuart (Mad/45?) and Davide Cenci (Mad/68). Over the last couple of years a bunch of little places have opened up down in NoHo, but can't think of names, except Lord Willy's (which, IIRC, seems to be universally despised)

**Sorry - who saw the NYT ad yesterday for the opening of the Saks' Kiton shop? "Sex, Hollywood, Power(?)"
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads