• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to shop in London & Paris this coming March?

nobopyon

Reaction score
I'll be going to London & Paris mid march.
I found several posts about where to shop in London and paris, however, those post was up on last year.

Will be my first time to London and Paris for shopping (stay 1 week each), would really love to hit the shopping there, and I'd like to know where is the best area/place go to shop, updated 2009 version
wink.gif

It maybe too much to ask but it would be nice to know...

1. Top 5 best shop to shop in London/Paris
2. Top 5 shops where locals shops in London/Paris
3. Top 5 discounted shops in London/Paris

thanks...!!
wink.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
what are you looking for? what type of shops? I'm sure you know of the obvious stores like Harvey Nichols, harrods, Gallerie Lafayette, Printemps etc

I'll be in Paris end of March and have our shopping itinerary planned, spanning all the various arrondisements as there are cool boutiques scattered all over the city

London is more centralized and easier to get from store to store

nobopyon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
what are you looking for? what type of shops? I'm sure you know of the obvious stores like Harvey Nichols, harrods, Gallerie Lafayette, Printemps etc

I'll be in Paris end of March and have our shopping itinerary planned, spanning all the various arrondisements as there are cool boutiques scattered all over the city

London is more centralized and easier to get from store to store

Of course, mainly more cloth... than accessaries....

for the style... I go high-end to mid-end.... I personally like unique style .. but my friends are more classy... so.. pretty much any

And yes, I googled those "obvious stores" you have mentioned, and list them up from other thread into my shopping list
smile.gif

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Galeries Lafayette and Printemps are mediocre at best, particularly if you're used to a high-end American department store.

If you really want to visit a department store in Paris, visit Le Bon Marche, which has a good selection of designer clothes rather than the diffusion stuff at Galeries Farfouillette. Also visit Old England, it is monumental.

But the real draw in a city that has them like London and Paris should be the small makers and the flagship shops for brands you like.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
huh, I wasnt wowed with LBMarche....I really liked Printemps the most, out of the obvious dept stores. And yes Old England is a good place to check out for gentlemanly gear

There's cool stores off the Rambuteau metro stop within easy walking distance

also off the Les Halles metro are some cool stores (APC, agnes b, Manufacture, etc)

another "obvious" store in Paris is Collette on Rue St Honore, which is a big street

just wandering around Covent Garden, Leiceister Square, Regent St, Bond St and the surrounding nooks and crannies will take you to a lot of great London shops (including Savile Row, Jermyn St etc if that's your cup of earl grey)

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
huh, I wasnt wowed with LBMarche....I really liked Printemps the most, out of the obvious dept stores. And yes Old England is a good place to check out for gentlemanly gear

There's cool stores off the Rambuteau metro stop within easy walking distance

also off the Les Halles metro are some cool stores (APC, agnes b, Manufacture, etc)

another "obvious" store in Paris is Collette on Rue St Honore, which is a big street

just wandering around Covent Garden, Leiceister Square, Regent St, Bond St and the surrounding nooks and crannies will take you to a lot of great London shops (including Savile Row, Jermyn St etc if that's your cup of earl grey)

Colette, yes, also L'Eclaireur (google for the men's store address)...

Marc Guyot (TFAF)

Sounds like OP is interested in mid-range RTW -- in Paris maybe Arthur & Fox, Berteil, Hartwood, Breuer, Wicket, Daniel Cremieux, Faconnable (the latter two are different from what is sold in teh States). If OP wants to do some sartorial sightseeing, Charvet, Arnys and Old England are three landmarks.

nobopyon

Reaction score
kewl...
you guys are awsome!!

I'll be sure to check out all those store you guys have mentioned.... !

Well, I do love high-end but also like new designers...
I guess I'm very into unique hard to find stuff...

It'd be awsome to find stuff it's hard to find in US (in typical department store).

Do they have store like century21 in nyc like?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nobopyon
Do they have store like century21 in nyc like?

Not in Paris. There is an outlet center way out in the burbs on the suburban rail near Euro Disney but there are much better things to do in Paris than trawl through that.

nobopyon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Not in Paris. There is an outlet center way out in the burbs on the suburban rail near Euro Disney but there are much better things to do in Paris than trawl through that.

Kewl, this is why I like to hear from people knows well about the area...!
quick shopping google... will usually get those (outlet or typical store) information...

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dont say kewl

did you find my thread from October from when I went? I asked a lot of the same questions. Should still be very relavent.

London - bond st for the high end/saville row. Picadilly, etc....

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For london regent street, pickadilly, jermyn street, saville row, the burlington arcade, bond street/new bond street. They are all within a few minutes walk of each other, that whole area is good. The best department stores in my opinion are Liberty and Fortnum and Masons, not really for the clothes just because they are cool. I'm not sure fortums even has clothes, it's just a great building, they are in that area.

If you want a discount center you best bet is not in london bicester village (its not really a village but a shopping center) in oxfordshire, never been there myself but I have heard its the best place for discounted designer stuff. Don't spend your whole time bargain hunting, see the sights, no matter how many times you have visited london there is always something you haven't seen, and london is not a great place to look for bargains anyway.

nobopyon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jgold47
dont say kewl

did you find my thread from October from when I went? I asked a lot of the same questions. Should still be very relavent.

London - bond st for the high end/saville row. Picadilly, etc....

I did a quick search on this forum before I post it, but I didn't think I found what I am really looking for.... ( I do not think your thread came up...).

I sure will look for your thread, and thank you for your suggestion!

raclotz

Reaction score
would you be intersted in wearing something experimental.. if you do let me know cause i have a acquaintance who would be glad to show you his collection..

zupermaus

Reaction score
where the locals shop in London - Topman/Topshop on Oxford St, the one right opposite the Oxford Circus tube entrance is a very good bet. The styles are pretty cutting edge, and know how to employ local designers and fashion students to make direct copies of what's being seen on the streets and urban tribes, alongside the usual catwalk looks. The styles are pretty daring and change every 2 months, they range from VERY affordable to boutique. For nu-retro, Sunday Upmarket in Brick Lane is THE fashionista/ streetkid/ pretentious dingbat place to be, as much a spectacle for the freaks and artists as it is for the buys (it's basically what Camden Market used to be like in the early 1990s, -which needs to be avoided like the plague for the crowds of misinformed tourists wondering where all the fashion freaks have gone). In short they've all decamped to Brick Lane, the market (yes, Sundays) that's housed in a warehouse-like brick building.
aaaala3.jpg
l
aaaaen4.jpg
Nearby is the Spitalfields Crafts Market - big on accessories and fancy women's clothing, and patronised by London's middle class bookish types - a very different feel. Liverpool Street tube for both.

zupermaus

Reaction score
Brick Lane looks
2685419303_863747377b.jpg
2620906329_520f112ff1.jpg
56-3.jpg
aaaaux4.jpg
2686233308_1283db64f3.jpg
brick-lane.jpg
2906523951_d189810108.jpg
aaaajk6.jpg
3090169316_711435ec6a.jpg
b2217f8219633addc3d4ab1qa1.jpg
2686232548_9bdcb7eec7.jpg
b2217f8219633addc3d4ab1tu5.jpg
aaaazs4.jpg
19972300a7827513390l.jpg
20030101000317rotatedaz5.jpg
aaaami9.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads