• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to shop in canada

lordkovacs

Reaction score
Many people here have great advice about where to shop - in the U.S.. I'm wondering if anyone here is in Canada, and if so, where do you shop? I've been to Tip Top Tailors and Moore's, but they fall a little short IMHO.

Thanks,
MIKE

Classic

Reaction score
While we do not have the selections that are available in the US, there are locations here that should be able to meet a person's needs, depending on what you are looking for.
Are you talking high end, middle of the road, low end? RTW, MTM, or bespoke? Stores with complete lines, or speciality shops?
Also, where are you located?
Nationally, perhaps the two best known names are Harry Rosen and Holt's. Aside from clothing, they also carry shoes and other accessories.
IMO, I would stay away from department stores, based on personal experiences.
Provide us with more specific information as to exactly what you wish to look for and I am certain that you will get repsonses as to other's opinions.

Classic

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I seem to recall that the Flusser book "clothes and the man" lists good stores for Toronto.

Also, I believe this issue has been previously discussed -- either here or on AskAndy -- which you might find if you do a search.

lordkovacs

Reaction score
I'm looking for middle end clothing...dont' have the cash for the good stuff.

I live on the border of Burlington/Oakville in Ontario.

Thanks..
MIKE

Classic

Reaction score
Although there are those that will disagree, in Oakville I would visit Garvey's, Burrows and M for Men. All are on Lakeshore, downtown Oakville. Watching for sales, you could get some good deals.
Since you are not that far from Toronto, I would also suggest Korry's and Tom's Place. True there are places that sell better quality, but for the price, especially if you are planning on wearing these suits at school (in a prior post you stated you were a teacher), you could do a whole lot worse.
Korry's is on the Danforth, and Tom's Place is in Kennsington Market.
Visit Harry Rosen's Outlet store in the Hearthland Complex in Mississauga where if you are patient and can visit periodically, you will find some good deals. And there is Holt's outlet, Holt's Last Call in the Yonge and Steeles area.
There are many more locations. Just remember that dressing well need not cost a fortune. But it does take effort and a willingness to search out value for the dollar.
Good Luck.

Classic

General Koskov

Reaction score
 I've been to Tip Top Tailors and Moore's, but they fall a little short IMHO. Â
That's an understatement. Â They fall flat on their fused fronts, is more like it. I haven't really gotten into regular shopping yet (due to the, ahem...poorness...factor) but I find Harry Rosen or Holt Renfrew (Winnipeg only has Holt's 'Last Call' discount store) to be two common good stores. Â Look in your yellow pages under men's clothing or tailors and you should find quite a few stores. Â You'll probably have missed these haberdasheries because it doesn't take a large storefront for men's clothes. And remember I've found a pretty good clothing supply in Winnipeg, sartorial wasteland of Canada, so unless you live in Saskatchewan you ought to fare better than I.

gqelements

Reaction score
if you are really strapped for cash, Winners Heartland had a big shipment of Zegna shirts lately...
personally, i believs Holt and Harry outlets, along with ebay.ca are your best bets.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Take a look at Harry Rosen and Holts cause the sales are starting so you might find some good deals. I was in holts the other day and got some really good deals. For dress shirts i'd look seriously and jantzen (search the forum if you've missed the numerous threads) and save the rest of your money for other parts of your wardrobe.

I don't know why you shop at Moore's..  Is it because you don't know any better or you really can't spend much more on a suit, shirt, or whatever else you're looking for?

I know that harry rosen runs promotions once in a while a to promote it's store-brand suits. I'm not sure if they have any RTW or if it's just MtM though since they only times i recall seeing these promotions was during trunk shows... They are heads and shoulders above what you'd find at Moore's and I seem to recall one year where there were siginficant savings when purchasing more than one suit during their trunk show (2 for 1200 maybe?). I'm just going off memory and may in fact be wrong, but I think the price for a single suit was around ~750. Again, don't quote me.

The point is you can definitely do better than Moore's. Don't be too intimidated to walk in to a upscale store and look around. The people aren't all assholes; although it's been my well documented experience that people in small boutiques have a much higher probability of being complete snobs; even if you're well-dressed ;p

And to GQE: are you serious? maybe my comment will seem a bit elitist, but wtf is zegna doing in winners heh? Are we talking zegna sport golf shirts or what? I fail to understand how even severely discounted zegna-anything could fall within the winners pricing scheme. Anyway let me know cause I might just check-out the winners in montreal.

FCS

Reaction score
I know that harry rosen runs promotions once in a while a to promote it's store-brand suits. I'm not sure if they have any RTW or if it's just MtM though since they only times i recall seeing these promotions was during trunk shows... They are heads and shoulders above what you'd find at Moore's and I seem to recall one year where there were siginficant savings when purchasing more than one suit during their trunk show (2 for 1200 maybe?). I'm just going off memory and may in fact be wrong, but I think the price for a single suit was around ~750. Again, don't quote me.

Fused, if you have to pay full retail pay a little bit more and go with Samuelsohn.

FCS

Reaction score
And to GQE: are you serious? maybe my comment will seem a bit elitist, but wtf is zegna doing in winners heh? Are we talking zegna sport golf shirts or what? I fail to understand how even severely discounted zegna-anything could fall within the winners pricing scheme. Anyway let me know cause I might just check-out the winners in montreal.

According to Ranjeev they even had Borrellis at some points.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not buy anything from stores like Moores and Tip Top. Their stuff is plain ugly and low quality. You get what you pay for. Moore's TV campagin always chuckles me. They dress up this guys with Moore stuffs .. and say "Well dressed Well Priced". I do not know if this is true. The suits I saw in that store costing around $200 looked REAL REAL REAL cheap. I would much rather pay $400 more and get Arnold Brant suit.

Plus, I do not think those suits will retain its shape after few wears or dry cleans. So, I think when it comes to buy mens wear, buy something nicer labels like Zegna, Boss, Armani, etc.... BTW, I find that Boss pieces that comes into Holt or Harry are lot better quality/fashionalbe than ones in USA department stores.

gqelements

Reaction score
Plus, I do not think those suits will retain its shape after few wears or dry cleans.  
they don't [moors] my roommate has two, and he is now getting more use out of the bags the came in, than the actual garments....

Classic

Reaction score
IMO, based on personal experience, aside from the quality of the merchandise, there is another advantage to shopping at higher end stores. If you develop a relationship with them, they will call you and let you know about upcoming promotions, well before the general public is advised.
In fact in one situation, the store even had an exclusive by invitation only showing of merchandise that was going on sale later that week.

Classic

Ranjeev

Reaction score
MilanoStyle, where can you get Arnold Brant suits for $400? I'm looking to buy a couple of decent quality suits and that price seems right. Winners at Heartland is indeed carrying Zegna dress shirts for $99. Not sure how many they have left at this point. I'll passing by that area tom. and I can take a look and post some info if anyone wants.

Classic

Reaction score
Ranjeev, while you are there go over to Harry Rosen Outlet. I was there today and they have some great deals on shirts (Canali, Talbot, BOSS - $29CND, and others at $49CDN), and suits. You have to search though and be lucky, as they did not have my size in the ones that I was interested in.
Good Luck.

Classic

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads