• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to shop for value?

voyaging

Reaction score
I am only 18 and am buying some new clothes for winter, where should I shop for decent-quality clothes with good value? I will probably be shopping online, due to lack of nearby stores (I live in Cleveland). I've had lots of recommendations for Topman, Zara, and Uniqlo. Where would you get your clothes if you were on a tight budget and starting from scratch? Obviously casual wear, I am still in high school.

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you are trying to kop some pradas, but now you are on a budget?
facepalm.gif

voyaging

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prada_Ferragamo
So you are trying to kop some pradas, but now you are on a budget?
facepalm.gif

That topic was for theoretical purposes, as I explicitly stated there.

bryce126

Reaction score
there's two trains of thought here:

1) buy items that cost less, and buy more of them. (e.g. if you have $200 you can buy more if each item doesn't cost $100). This will get you more of a wardrobe quicker.

2) buy less items that cost more, but buy quality. The idea is that these items, while more expensive, are timeless and will last forever.

In all likelihood a mix of the two is in order. Some seasonal things and some more timeless pieces are probably the best bet. On a budget, H&M, Zara, Club Monaco, Uniqlo, work.

............com has some good stuff, as does giltman.com. Gilt is more on the expensive side between the two.

Starting from scratch I would begin with fundamentals, and only then start adding pieces. How clothing fits is far more important than its brand or materials. In order of importance, in my opinion, it'd be something like jeans, shirts, jacket, shoes, coat, etc.

cowsareforeating

Reaction score
get ur basics first. white t's crew necks, v necks.

if you must invest, invest in jeans. (unless you like dressing up all the time)
dry denim lasts and its the most bang for its buck imo.

and the above stores are great --> perusing styleforum & superfuture are good if you know your sizing.

voyaging

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
Sites like H&M, Topman, etc. don't allow those who reside in the U.S. to shop online BTW.

Topman does.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voyaging
Topman does.
Really? I know they're U.K. based, that is interesting. How bad are the duties, if any.

voyaging

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
Really? I know they're U.K. based, that is interesting. How bad are the duties, if any.

Everything seems priced as if they just switched the prices based on the exchange rate, I think it ships from one of their U.S. stores presumably.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then Topman would be your best bet then since they offer online shopping. Personally though, if the quality is comparable to H&M, it's going to be craptastic. H&M is pretty much wear once or twice and then trash.

Go for quality instead of quantity IMO.

wrongturnsteve

Reaction score
this is what im doing... improving my wardrobe and the way i look on a very tight budget. slowly and surely... 1. Get in shape. This is free or low cost, and may even save you money in the long run on health bills. 2. Groom yourself. Get a haircut, whiten your teeth, iron your clothes, be clean shaven or well kept. Also cheap or free. 3. A couple of good fitting pairs of jeans or pants. You only need one for each occasion if they are basic, simple, and dont stick out. You can wear them over and over. They must fit well and they dont have to be expensive. I wear 30 dollar Levis 511, 501, and 514. My preference in that order. 501 will be in style forever. You dont need 300 dollar iron hearts or anything. If fading raw denim is your thing, there are STF 501s. 4. Buy some good fitting T shirts in solid colors. I like the neutral colors like white, grey, black. Fit is important here, you want it slim but not tight. 5. Save your money and buy quality shoes, outerwear as the need arises. For now wear the shoes and outerwear you already own. 6. Last, think about accessories such watches, hats, ties again as the need arises.

Ike

Reaction score
Uniqlo has great stuff for the price - as others have said. But, afaik, they're still only NYC? Last time I was there I picked up some $5 t-shirts that are still some of the better t-shirts I've gotten for under $25. I'd also hit up Gap sales for the basics. They are... basic, but you can get stuff for under $10/item. Just don't have them be the defining piece of your wardrobe. I'd actually recommend going into physical stores, you'll get much better deals for off-the-rack stuff. For example, my local J Crew has much deeper discounts than the online store - they had a final sale event about 6 weeks ago with an additional 30% off all sale.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voyaging
I am only 18 and am buying some new clothes for winter, where should I shop for decent-quality clothes with good value? I will probably be shopping online, due to lack of nearby stores (I live in Cleveland). I've had lots of recommendations for Topman, Zara, and Uniqlo. Where would you get your clothes if you were on a tight budget and starting from scratch? Obviously casual wear, I am still in high school.

wal-mart has a new batman collection?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads