• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to shop for tweed sport coat

Miles R.

Reaction score
I am looking for a certain sort of tweed sport coat (I will describe what I am looking for in the next paragraph), but I have not been able to find one to my liking, and I am not sure where I should be looking. I found one that seemed exactly right on one Web source (Walker Slater), but the model was out of stock in my size and has now disappeared entirely. I tried one from Brooks Brothers late in the season last year that might have worked if I could have found the right size, but the model has not come back this year. I have looked at the sites of all the forum sponsors listed in the panel on the right and have not found what I am looking for. Can any Forumites suggest on-line vendors that I should look at?

This is what I am looking for: A sport coat of heavy tweed (I am not adept with gsm figures, but I think 300 and up would be the range); preferably herringbone, but not necessarily; in a very dark color, which could be charcoal or olive, possibly brown, but not blue; three-button closure, or three-rolled-to-two. My upper limit on price would be $500, so I am content with half-canvas construction. Here is a coat on the Walker Slater site that has the sort of weight and design that I am looking for, though the color is too light and it has a check pattern.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try Bookster Tailoring (UK) and see if any of their ready to wear items meet your needs. They will make one out of the fabric of your choice but not at that price point.

Also, this is an outfit out of Ireland that will make the MTO and within your price point:
http://www.irishtweedjackets.com (Kelly Mens Wear)
I have one of their vests and it's very well made.

Miles R.

Reaction score
Thanks for the information, johng70. The offerings of the Irish vendor look very good to me. Let's see if any other suggestions come in.

Embarrassed by how far off my estimates of fabric weight were: I should have given 400 as my floor!

Sfroide3

Reaction score
Spier and Mackay does a couple tweed jackets. The majority is two buttons but found one that is a 3 roll 2. There might be more. You gotta look for it.

Miles R.

Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestion, Sfroide3. I am familiar with Spier and Mackay and have bought clothes from them. I am looking for something more British than Italian in cut. But I should probably at least ask them what the weight of the fabric is.

paxonus

Reaction score
I am looking for a certain sort of tweed sport coat (I will describe what I am looking for in the next paragraph), but I have not been able to find one to my liking, and I am not sure where I should be looking. I found one that seemed exactly right on one Web source (Walker Slater), but the model was out of stock in my size and has now disappeared entirely. I tried one from Brooks Brothers late in the season last year that might have worked if I could have found the right size, but the model has not come back this year. I have looked at the sites of all the forum sponsors listed in the panel on the right and have not found what I am looking for. Can any Forumites suggest on-line vendors that I should look at?

This is what I am looking for: A sport coat of heavy tweed (I am not adept with gsm figures, but I think 300 and up would be the range); preferably herringbone, but not necessarily; in a very dark color, which could be charcoal or olive, possibly brown, but not blue; three-button closure, or three-rolled-to-two. My upper limit on price would be $500, so I am content with half-canvas construction. Here is a coat on the Walker Slater site that has the sort of weight and design that I am looking for, though the color is too light and it has a check pattern.
Have you looked at Peter Christian?

GMcMillan

Reaction score

J Press for RTW with 3/2 roll, but price might be steep. Or made-to-measure. I've had great success with studiosuits. They have Harris tweed in many colors/patterns for like $300-ish per. I have several of them. But it would be missing the 3/2 lapel.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics