• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to shop for Formalwear?

walterf

Reaction score
If you remember my former threads I've decided on purchasing a tux for my wedding. I'm looking for a single button, peak lapel tux (with detachable collar, 3 button vest). I've checked out the Brooks Brothers and like it, but the complete unit is upwards of $2k+.

Any suggestions of other brands to check out, in the $1k-$2k range? And a retailer I can check them out.

Thanks!
~Walter

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What size are you? I've seen SF sellers sell BB tuxedos for cheap, and they do go on sale at the retail stores.

walterf

Reaction score
The jacket I tried on off the rack was a 42R IIRC and only needed to be brought in a tad at the waist if anything.

walterf

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I wasn't able to find any tux's but I may have been able to find the shirt at a considerable discount!

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
depending on where you are located, may want to give James Clothiers in tysons galleria a call-- they had three or four really nice peaked lapel dark navy (might have been midnight blue) tuxes on big discount. I stopped in the other day, took a really good look at them on the sale rack at the front of the store.

http://www.jamesclothiers.com/

walterf

Reaction score
I guess that would help to add, I'm in Atlanta FWIW.

walterf

Reaction score
Any other suggestions, seems like RLPL is a popular suggestion, but likely a higher price point.

What about opinions on JAB? Seems like an odd sale offering a second jacket for $99 and a third for free, need to convince some friends to buy tuxedos

jmoody15

Reaction score
Originally Posted by walterf
Any other suggestions, seems like RLPL is a popular suggestion, but likely a higher price point.

What about opinions on JAB? Seems like an odd sale offering a second jacket for $99 and a third for free, need to convince some friends to buy tuxedos

Perhaps you should look at an MTM route.

I went to Tom James for my wedding tux, and got the whole set for about $1500ish. I was really happy with how everything turned out.

Mblova

Reaction score
DO NOT do JAB.

walterf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jmoody15
Perhaps you should look at an MTM route.

I went to Tom James for my wedding tux, and got the whole set for about $1500ish. I was really happy with how everything turned out.

Good idea. I don't have any MTM experience so finding someone in the Atlanta area that may be able to help might be a challenge.

I've heard of people mentioning Sid Masburn and Hong Kong Tailors in the past (searching SF). I had never heard of Tom James but it appears there is a location here in Atlanta so that may be an option.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you remember my former threads I've decided on purchasing a tux for my wedding. I'm looking for a single button, peak lapel tux (with detachable collar, 3 button vest). I've checked out the Brooks Brothers and like it, but the complete unit is upwards of $2k+.

Any suggestions of other brands to check out, in the $1k-$2k range? And a retailer I can check them out.

Thanks!
~Walter

This is not quite what you are looking for as it is DB instead of SB but at $300 it is an excellent deal. You might want to reconsider . . .

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

jmoody15

Reaction score
Good idea. I don't have any MTM experience so finding someone in the Atlanta area that may be able to help might be a challenge.

I've heard of people mentioning Sid Masburn and Hong Kong Tailors in the past (searching SF). I had never heard of Tom James but it appears there is a location here in Atlanta so that may be an option.

I simply tripped up on them. They get mixed reviews here (mostly bad), but it seems to be linked to pushy salespeople, not quality. I got lucky at my store (Alabama location), and found a guy that was laid-back, but I'd suggest calling them up and getting a feel for it.

Just a little word of advice, don't buy shoes/accessories through them. They charge an unnecessary upcharge (for convenience, I suppose). Just pick up your shoes, socks (their socks suck), and braces elsewhere.

walterf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bounder
This is not quite what you are looking for as it is DB instead of SB but at $300 it is an excellent deal. You might want to reconsider . . .

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

Thanks, but I really don't like the DB style, not worth the savings.

Originally Posted by jmoody15
I simply tripped up on them. They get mixed reviews here (mostly bad), but it seems to be linked to pushy salespeople, not quality. I got lucky at my store (Alabama location), and found a guy that was laid-back, but I'd suggest calling them up and getting a feel for it.

Just a little word of advice, don't buy shoes/accessories through them. They charge an unnecessary upcharge (for convenience, I suppose). Just pick up your shoes, socks (their socks suck), and braces elsewhere.

That is what I seem to be finding as I search.

Also looking at mytailor.com now as well.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mens Wearhouse, But only if you wanna like the way you look... Joking aside i think theres a zegna tux SB, 1 button, unvented on sale in the B&S forum for like $500 or so. So if you are a 38R you are in luck!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads