• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to service my vintage Omega?

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an old Omega that is running a little fast (maybe a minute ever day or two). I'd like to sell it and get something a little less fragile but I don't want to sell it as is. Is there somewhere to get these older watches serviced that doesn't cost an outrageous amount of money? My grandfather used to service watches when he was younger and said it wasn't a huge deal. Unfortunately he doesn't have the steady hands anymore so I guess I'll have to pay someone.

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'll want to ask yourself whether the cost of servicing it will be less than the increase in the resell value. If it's close, it's probably not worth the hassle. Others are more knowledgable than I am, but that's a consideration.

Murray

Reaction score
Originally Posted by needshoehelp
You'll want to ask yourself whether the cost of servicing it will be less than the increase in the resell value. If it's close, it's probably not worth the hassle. Others are more knowledgable than I am, but that's a consideration.

I would get it serviced, not so much for value, but because vintage watches are in my opinion, cool and sophisticated. I have a mint Omega Flightmaster which oozes the 70's (since that's when it was made). It is big, it is retro and it is commercial aviation when the 707 was the aircraft to fly. It gets more compliments than my 1997 Submariner or 1994 Explorer II. If you keep it serviced and wear it sparingly, you will have a classic watch that may be hard to get in the future (not that I know what type it is though).

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Murray
I would get it serviced, not so much for value, but because vintage watches are in my opinion, cool and sophisticated. I have a mint Omega Flightmaster which oozes the 70's (since that's when it was made). It is big, it is retro and it is commercial aviation when the 707 was the aircraft to fly. It gets more compliments than my 1997 Submariner or 1994 Explorer II. If you keep it serviced and wear it sparingly, you will have a classic watch that may be hard to get in the future (not that I know what type it is though).
Flightmasters are cool watches. You are lucky.

Dan G

Reaction score
Let's see a pic. Maybe one of us will take it off your hands....

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry for being so vague, I guess I should have mentioned that it is a 1931 vintage manual wind. I believe the movement is a 37.5 T1 (will have to check when I get home) which was a small pocket watch movement that was put into wristwatches as well. The auction ended at 11:30 PM on Chistmas eve and I put in a ridiculously low snipe that I never thought would win.

This is the only pic I have at the moment, it is really a beautiful watch with the second hand in the 9 o'clock position. I just decided I'd rather have a new Stowa that I don't have to worry about when I'm wearing.

1.jpg

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nate10184
Sorry for being so vague, I guess I should have mentioned that it is a 1931 vintage manual wind. I believe the movement is a 37.5 T1 (will have to check when I get home) which was a small pocket watch movement that was put into wristwatches as well. The auction ended at 11:30 PM on Chistmas eve and I put in a ridiculously low snipe that I never thought would win.

This is the only pic I have at the moment, it is really a beautiful watch with the second hand in the 9 o'clock position. I just decided I'd rather have a new Stowa that I don't have to worry about when I'm wearing.

1.jpg

Gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous.

You may have a tough time finding someone who can service it, but I would definitely do it. Not necessarily because you will profit from the re-sell value, but because you owe it to yourself, to Omega, and to the world to keep this beautiful timepiece keeping time.

All mechanical watches need servicing every few years - they need a routine cleaning and oiling. That usually costs about $30-50. If the only "problem" with the watch is a minute or two of inaccuracy, the cleaning will probably help that. There are adjustments that can be made in watches that fine tune the mechanism and the watchmaker will probably take a look at that too.

I will say that a minute or two a day of inaccuracy is not a big deal - remember, even a modern mechanical watch with a chronometer certification can lose a few seconds every day. If you're looking for perfect accuracy, you're always better off buying a quartz Timex. But the luxury of this day and age is that accurate time is available everywhere - on your cell phone, your computer, the radio, etc. Resetting an old watch every day or two as you put it on is hardly a great chore - in fact, it is one of the little things I really enjoy and that gives me a feeling of connection to the watch.

Do some research, perhaps at Timezone, to find a well-recommended watch repair man in your area. It's worth paying $50 to make sure the watch has a clean bill of health. One thing to be aware of, however - parts for these old watches can be hard to find. I have a WWI-era Omega trench watch that's not in working order and I have had a tough time finding someone who can work on it reliably and who also can find the parts it needs.

But please don't give up on this watch. However, if you do decide it's too much hassle, please PM me and we'll work something out.
smile.gif

clubbyjones

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gherkins
Don't. Sell. That. Watch.

I agree.

Call your local Omega dealer, they can tell you where to get it serviced. Guaranteed.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrZRM
Get in touch with RGMwatches.com in Pennsylvania. They are great for out-of-warranty watches. They have fair prices and their work is excellent.

http://www.rgmwatches.com/repair.html

PRICING:
— Complete service on most modern watches starts at $350.00
— Vintage watches start at $400.00
— High-grade watches and chronographs start at $450.00
— For minor repairs there is a $50.00 minimum labor charge

Seems pretty steep to me.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're patient, Jack @ Ind Watch Works does a great job and charges very fair prices. Just got a vintage Omega back from full service and cost was $100. Be ready to wait 4-5 months though

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an Omega at IWW too. Sent it in May or June and still waiting.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by knittieguy
I have an Omega at IWW too. Sent it in May or June and still waiting.
Shouldn't be much longer. Sent mine on 5/1 and received it back on 10/8

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Is this who you are talking about?

http://www.industrialwatchworks.com

Sorry, I know it sounds like I'm being thick, but the site says "International Watch Works" even though the URL states otherwise.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads