• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Where to service my vintage Omega?

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2006
Messages
1,272
Reaction score
53
I have an old Omega that is running a little fast (maybe a minute ever day or two). I'd like to sell it and get something a little less fragile but I don't want to sell it as is. Is there somewhere to get these older watches serviced that doesn't cost an outrageous amount of money? My grandfather used to service watches when he was younger and said it wasn't a huge deal. Unfortunately he doesn't have the steady hands anymore so I guess I'll have to pay someone.
 

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2007
Messages
1,150
Reaction score
2
You'll want to ask yourself whether the cost of servicing it will be less than the increase in the resell value. If it's close, it's probably not worth the hassle. Others are more knowledgable than I am, but that's a consideration.
 

Murray

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2007
Messages
76
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by needshoehelp
You'll want to ask yourself whether the cost of servicing it will be less than the increase in the resell value. If it's close, it's probably not worth the hassle. Others are more knowledgable than I am, but that's a consideration.

I would get it serviced, not so much for value, but because vintage watches are in my opinion, cool and sophisticated. I have a mint Omega Flightmaster which oozes the 70's (since that's when it was made). It is big, it is retro and it is commercial aviation when the 707 was the aircraft to fly. It gets more compliments than my 1997 Submariner or 1994 Explorer II. If you keep it serviced and wear it sparingly, you will have a classic watch that may be hard to get in the future (not that I know what type it is though).
 

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Oct 12, 2006
Messages
15,119
Reaction score
2,411
Originally Posted by Murray
I would get it serviced, not so much for value, but because vintage watches are in my opinion, cool and sophisticated. I have a mint Omega Flightmaster which oozes the 70's (since that's when it was made). It is big, it is retro and it is commercial aviation when the 707 was the aircraft to fly. It gets more compliments than my 1997 Submariner or 1994 Explorer II. If you keep it serviced and wear it sparingly, you will have a classic watch that may be hard to get in the future (not that I know what type it is though).
Flightmasters are cool watches. You are lucky.
 

Dan G

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2004
Messages
378
Reaction score
0
Let's see a pic. Maybe one of us will take it off your hands....
 

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2006
Messages
1,272
Reaction score
53
Sorry for being so vague, I guess I should have mentioned that it is a 1931 vintage manual wind. I believe the movement is a 37.5 T1 (will have to check when I get home) which was a small pocket watch movement that was put into wristwatches as well. The auction ended at 11:30 PM on Chistmas eve and I put in a ridiculously low snipe that I never thought would win.

This is the only pic I have at the moment, it is really a beautiful watch with the second hand in the 9 o'clock position. I just decided I'd rather have a new Stowa that I don't have to worry about when I'm wearing.

 

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Aug 17, 2007
Messages
14,658
Reaction score
2,297
Originally Posted by nate10184
Sorry for being so vague, I guess I should have mentioned that it is a 1931 vintage manual wind. I believe the movement is a 37.5 T1 (will have to check when I get home) which was a small pocket watch movement that was put into wristwatches as well. The auction ended at 11:30 PM on Chistmas eve and I put in a ridiculously low snipe that I never thought would win.

This is the only pic I have at the moment, it is really a beautiful watch with the second hand in the 9 o'clock position. I just decided I'd rather have a new Stowa that I don't have to worry about when I'm wearing.



Gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous.

You may have a tough time finding someone who can service it, but I would definitely do it. Not necessarily because you will profit from the re-sell value, but because you owe it to yourself, to Omega, and to the world to keep this beautiful timepiece keeping time.

All mechanical watches need servicing every few years - they need a routine cleaning and oiling. That usually costs about $30-50. If the only "problem" with the watch is a minute or two of inaccuracy, the cleaning will probably help that. There are adjustments that can be made in watches that fine tune the mechanism and the watchmaker will probably take a look at that too.

I will say that a minute or two a day of inaccuracy is not a big deal - remember, even a modern mechanical watch with a chronometer certification can lose a few seconds every day. If you're looking for perfect accuracy, you're always better off buying a quartz Timex. But the luxury of this day and age is that accurate time is available everywhere - on your cell phone, your computer, the radio, etc. Resetting an old watch every day or two as you put it on is hardly a great chore - in fact, it is one of the little things I really enjoy and that gives me a feeling of connection to the watch.

Do some research, perhaps at Timezone, to find a well-recommended watch repair man in your area. It's worth paying $50 to make sure the watch has a clean bill of health. One thing to be aware of, however - parts for these old watches can be hard to find. I have a WWI-era Omega trench watch that's not in working order and I have had a tough time finding someone who can work on it reliably and who also can find the parts it needs.

But please don't give up on this watch. However, if you do decide it's too much hassle, please PM me and we'll work something out.
 

clubbyjones

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2008
Messages
382
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by Gherkins
Don't. Sell. That. Watch.

I agree.

Call your local Omega dealer, they can tell you where to get it serviced. Guaranteed.
 

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2005
Messages
1,173
Reaction score
107
Originally Posted by DrZRM
Get in touch with RGMwatches.com in Pennsylvania. They are great for out-of-warranty watches. They have fair prices and their work is excellent.

http://www.rgmwatches.com/repair.html



PRICING:
— Complete service on most modern watches starts at $350.00
— Vintage watches start at $400.00
— High-grade watches and chronographs start at $450.00
— For minor repairs there is a $50.00 minimum labor charge

Seems pretty steep to me.
 

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Jun 9, 2005
Messages
39,946
Reaction score
28,579
If you're patient, Jack @ Ind Watch Works does a great job and charges very fair prices. Just got a vintage Omega back from full service and cost was $100. Be ready to wait 4-5 months though
 

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2005
Messages
1,173
Reaction score
107
I have an Omega at IWW too. Sent it in May or June and still waiting.
 

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Jun 9, 2005
Messages
39,946
Reaction score
28,579
Originally Posted by knittieguy
I have an Omega at IWW too. Sent it in May or June and still waiting.
Shouldn't be much longer. Sent mine on 5/1 and received it back on 10/8
 

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Aug 17, 2007
Messages
14,658
Reaction score
2,297
Is this who you are talking about?

http://www.industrialwatchworks.com

Sorry, I know it sounds like I'm being thick, but the site says "International Watch Works" even though the URL states otherwise.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 30 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 143 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 272 32.9%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 130 15.7%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 71 8.6%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 49 5.9%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.7%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.1%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 7 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 53 6.4%

Related Threads

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
429,128
Messages
9,229,594
Members
193,741
Latest member
peaureame
Top