• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to overnight in DC

RVAduffer

Reaction score
Looking for a moderately priced (under $250) place to stay in DC this weekend. Would like easy metro access and preferably in part of town that doesn't roll up hte sidewalks at 5 p.m. Friday. What say you oh wise SF collective?

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RVAduffer
Looking for a moderately priced (under $250) place to stay in DC this weekend. Would like easy metro access and preferably in part of town that doesn't roll up hte sidewalks at 5 p.m. Friday. What say you oh wise SF collective?

Well, if you have Metro access, it runs until 3am on the weekend, so it wouldn't matter much if things died down around 5pm. With that said, it sounds like you'd want to stay someplace in the Chinatown/Metro Center area, because it's always busy on the weekends. Plus, those two locations are within walking distance of each other, so you have combined access to all the Metro lines meaning you could shoot up to Adams Morgan or over to Virginia if you wanted. Not sure about specific places in the area or what they would cost, but I know the Hotel Monaco is right in that area, and I've had good experiences with Kimptons.

bkk

Reaction score
There's not really a way to shoot up the Metro to Adams Morgan. There's quite a hike after you get off the stop, and that's not so fun in the winter.

Dupont Circle is another option. I once spent the night in the Hilton on Embassy Row for ~$200-250, and that was for a suite.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, the town is completely empty. You could stay anywhere cheap this weekend!

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I vote for Dupont.

Adams Morgan has no realistic Metro access. To claim otherwise is to mislead. As Metro is fond of doing.

b

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^I'm actually wondering something similar for a trip planned in the next coupla months. Dupont Circle/Foggy Bottom... any places to stay that you'd recommend? I'm in the same boat as the OP... decent, but not too expensive. I'm not looking to stay next door to a Saudi Prince or something...

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't stayed at too many places in the city because I don't need to but:

The Melrose in Foggy Bottom is around $100-$300. All rooms are suites and they are decent, nothing great, but for the price they're pretty good. It's only two blocks from the Metro.

The Hyatt on New Jersey Ave. is cheap in the weekends too. The hotel is made for business travelers so it's not the most luxurious. It's also way overpriced on weekdays (because of the business travelers). It's about two blocks from Union Station and almost across the street from the Capitol. Hopefully, the construction to the hotel will be finished in a few months. In the mean time, use that info to get a better discount.

Capitol Hill hotels are all business, Dupont/Embassy Row/Downtown/Whitehouse hotels are more luxury oriented. There is a Grand Hyatt in Chinatown that I hear is like a resort.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hotel Madera is on New Hampshire between Dupont and Foggy Bottom and is reasonable on weekends (looks like $120-150/night this weekend). It may be the least lux of the Kimpton preperties in DC, but it's nice and the location is good--It's restaurant Firefly has seen better days but is still good, IMO.

Tabard Inn is an interesting place near Dupont with a great restaurant/bar. Never stayed but heard good things.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Courtyard by Marriott Washington Convention Center

One block to Gallery Place metro station (Red, Green, and Yellow lines), three blocks to Metro Center metro station (Red, Blue, and Orange lines), across the street from several nightclubs, two blocks to Penn Quarter strip on 7th Street.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stayed twice at the Tabard. A little eccentric, but really great.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
^I'm actually wondering something similar for a trip planned in the next coupla months. Dupont Circle/Foggy Bottom... any places to stay that you'd recommend? I'm in the same boat as the OP... decent, but not too expensive. I'm not looking to stay next door to a Saudi Prince or something...

Can't wait! Too bad I don't have any suggestions! Get to work!

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
It's restaurant Firefly has seen better days but is still good, IMO.

I went to Firefly for dinner tonight. It was excellent.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I wouldnt do for a Ben's half smoke w/ chili right now... stay somewhere in teh U street corridor...It is seriously blwoing up...if youre not scared of bla.....s

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoeWoah
I went to Firefly for dinner tonight. It was excellent.

I'll second that. We went for our anniversary and it was great.

I'm afraid I know of no hotels in DC because I've never looked for one. But there should be plenty. Especially if you're willing to stay in another neighborhood and Metro to the nightlife.

b

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus
What I wouldnt do for a Ben's half smoke w/ chili right now... stay somewhere in teh U street corridor...It is seriously blwoing up...if youre not scared of bla.....s

There are no hotels around there except for the Dupont Hilton on Conn. Ave. which is still quite a few blocks away.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads