• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to live in Wash., D.C.

herzzreh

Reaction score
Well... apparently I'm not moving in NYC but to D.C. instead. I'll be working on the south end of 2nd St SW. I can drive, can spend up to $1500 on an apartment, need a 1 bedroom, prefer more "city" type of a living.

I don't know anything about D.C. So, where to look for a place?

SWiFt08

Reaction score
most people who work in dc don't live in dc. Northern VA (Arlington , oldtown & Alexandria) and Maryland (Silver spring).

pauliodotnet

Reaction score
there have been a few posts about this topic. search. and swift is correct, most ppl live outside of DC, but if commuting is not your thing, Arlington/Falls Church would be the farthest I would move out. I commuted from Fairfax to DC with no issues, I like the 30 minutes on the metro. it was building up to get to work
wink.gif
As for living in downtown DC, I would choose something close to a metro, and depending on where you are working. Since you are in SW, I would prolly do Chinatown, as that area is really getting renovated and booming, plus you are in the middle of a LOT of great restaurants and bars.

herzzreh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SWiFt08
most people who work in dc don't live in dc. Northern VA (Arlington , oldtown & Alexandria) and Maryland (Silver spring).

I kinda figured that much. I'm just at loss as to what areas to look in.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SWiFt08
Speak for yourself, the suburbs suck. I won't even date a girl out there. Where on 2nd St. SW? That makes a difference. There are cheap apartments out that end just on the south side of 395. The neighborhood isn't bad and you'll save some cash. Your office would be on the Blue/Orange line, I'd say the Capitol Hill South (House-side) area would be your best bet. It's in walking distance and on the metro line. Second would be the Penn Quarter/Chinatown area on the Yellow/Green lines. That metro is a short walk away from where you're working too. You could also swing the Columbia Heights/Adams Morgan area, it's on Yellow/Green too.

pauliodotnet

Reaction score
ride the metro in from vienna, you will like waht you see. makes the ride in real pleasant.

herzzreh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoeWoah
Speak for yourself, the suburbs suck. I won't even date a girl out there.

Where on 2nd St. SW? That makes a difference.

It'd be 2nd st SW and V st SW.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by herzzreh
It'd be 2nd st SW and V st SW.

My suggestions still stand then. You could also look at the new skyrise apartments in Anacostia next to the ball park.

If you're younger than 30 and aren't married or a homebody than you will not want to live in the 'burbs. Jersey is not as cool as Manhattan, NOVA is not as cool as DC.

pauliodotnet

Reaction score
than you will not want to live in the 'burbs. Jersey is not as cool as Manhattan, NOVA is not as cool as DC.

How so, it is no more than 10 minutes into the city, and you get the best of both worlds, all of the city, plus Reston town center, Arlington, Shirlington, Old Towne, Fairfax, Herndon. You open your channels for more friends.

I am in Federal Sales, so I do a lot of traveling around the Metropolitan area, and I think each place has their benefits. But the upside to living in the city, is it is easier getting out of the city than getting in.

But do not think that if you are under 30, living in the city is the ONLY way to go. It is just like some name brands, all hype no quality.. SOMETIMES :p

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pauliodotnet
How so, it is no more than 10 minutes into the city, and you get the best of both worlds, all of the city, plus Reston town center, Arlington, Shirlington, Old Towne, Fairfax, Herndon. You open your channels for more friends. I am in Federal Sales, so I do a lot of traveling around the Metropolitan area, and I think each place has their benefits. But the upside to living in the city, is it is easier getting out of the city than getting in. But do not think that if you are under 30, living in the city is the ONLY way to go. It is just like some name brands, all hype no quality.. SOMETIMES :p
10 minutes from Reston? It's 30 with minimal traffic at 90 MPH on the GWP (it's a fun drive)... 1 1/2 hours during rush hour! My office's HQ is out there near Reston center, I avoid it like the plague. People out there are quaint too. They talk about DC like it's a day trip for them. A day in the life of the people at HQ is work, chain restaurant, movie, home, I wish I was making that up. Old Towne and Bethesda I really like and are the only places I could possibly concede because there's an actual community and culture there. Pentagon Row/City and Crystal City are fake hermetically sealed communities for grocery getters. The worse part about it... it's not cheaper to live out in the 'burbs! What do you save living in Crystal City versus Capitol Hill? Last time I checked, CC costs about the same or a tad bit more. What do you get for that? Newer appliances? Old Towne costs Dupont money and Balston is 16th St. money. You need to live away from the metro to lower costs. Then you need to figure in the aggravation of living out in the 'burbs. Traffic is a biggie! You might be able to get to the DC boarder in 10-15 mins, but not to where you actually need to go. The Metro isn't reliable out there, it takes forever, never runs on schedule, costs more and doesn't stop at every stop like it should. The farther you go, the bigger the crap shoot. How long does it take to get to Old Towne on the Metro, by the way? A half hour on a good day but it's usually more. Forget about Vienna. If you don't live on top of a Metro, you need to drive to the metro and pay for parking. So, slog through traffic, pay for parking, wait, sit on train for 30 min - 1 hour (Huntington), pay extra for metro... repeat later in the day. Sounds like fun! That should definitely leave you with plenty of time in your day for a real life. Maybe get a few beers at a local TGI Friday's out there and then metro home... oh no you can't do that, drive drunk home.
You open your channels for more friends.
You have this wrong, it's the other way around. Again, if you're married and do Pictonary nights, or what other board games married people favor, I could see your point. However, people out there don't really communicate with each other. It's the suburbs, it's like any other suburb. If you're in Crystal City or Pentagon Row, you're there because you're antisocial in the first place. Balston, Old Towne and Rosslyn (because Georgetown isn't far) are the only exceptions. I live in the city because it's not boring. Most young people live in the city and work in the city. My house is mere blocks from Union Station, Eastern Market (well Cap South but I have legs), my office, my gym/Verizon Center (I usually just walk), the Penn Ave. bars, etc... The only time I drive is when I have class or need to buy groceries in Virginia. There is something to be said for stepping out your door and having everything right there. Even then, Capitol Hill is anemic compared to other neighborhoods like Dupont, Adams Morgan, Chinatown, Georgetown and others. This kinda comes off like I hate the suburbs and I really don't, but they're not for me right at this stage in my life. The DC Metro Area is way better than Jersey, that's for sure. It is, however, a mistake to move out there if you're young or new to the area. You miss out on so much if you do. My g/f moved to Bethesda when she first came down here. She quickly realized how much it sucked and moved to the city... and she works in Old Towne.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If/when I move to D.C., I want to live near intern housing so I can prey on young ladeez.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
If/when I move to D.C., I want to live near intern housing so I can prey on young ladeez.

Why don't you live in intern housing? I did when I first got here. It's way overpriced and cramped but all those guys are the best friends I have in the city today.

The girls were next door.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why don't you live in intern housing? I did when I first got here. It's way overpriced and cramped but all those guys are the best friends I have in the city today. The girls were next door.
Maybe I will. I'm not going to be able to afford much more than that or something along those lines (group housing).

TrekTheWorld

Reaction score
If you want to truly be part of DC, yet be right outside, then just live in Arlington. Preferably Claredon since you have quick access to the metro. Also, you can live in Old Town, Alexandria, which is a cool spot, and also has a metro. I would check Claredon/Courthouse area for a fun area, lots of bars and shopping, yet can get to DC in 10 mins.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads