• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to live in NYC?

herzzreh

Reaction score
So... looks like I'll be moving to NYC. I can spend up to $2,000 per month on housing... what areas would you suggest? I'll need at least a two-bedroom place.

Not looking for suburbs type of a place (i.e. Staten Island).

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
$2,000 for two bedrooms in a non-suburby type place in the five boroughs is almost certainly going to be impossible.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by herzzreh
So... looks like I'll be moving to NYC. I can spend up to $2,000 per month on housing... what areas would you suggest? I'll need at least a two-bedroom place.

Not looking for suburbs type of a place (i.e. Staten Island).

impossible. Possibly check out Inwood.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2K is what you might pay for an apt. in an outer borough, but not a great neighborhood in that outer borough. Manhattan is not possible. In Brooklyn, Brooklyn Heights and central Park Slope are out. You might do a smaller 2 BR in the South Slope. Queens, other than Long Island City ought be doable at that price point.

However, keep in mind that the closer you live to Manhattan, the smaller the BRs are likely to be.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
$2,000 for two bedrooms in a non-suburby type place in the five boroughs is almost certainly going to be impossible.

Except for your friends in the Belnord with the classic 6/7?

Realistically, if you can't stumble/bribe your way into a rent controlled/stabilized apartment, your best bets in Manhattan would be 125th St on the westside and above 96th on the eastside, e.g. Harlem, Hamilton Heights, Washington Heights and Inwood for Manhattan.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
maybe woodside or sunnyside, which are both close to manhattan and full of young people. bushwick too perhaps.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What does a one-bedroom run for in Manhattan?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i would think between $2500-3750 depending on where.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr

My friend was paying $2800 for a really, really tiny studio in a pretty desirable section of Manhattan.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr

I was wondering too.

I was thinking 1500-2500. Looks like I was borderline too low
plain.gif

How much would a foyer cost?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you can sleep in my office for 750/month and wash your balls in the sink. no shower though.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No thanks Kunk. I will an internship in the city next summer and I'm pretty sure I will be losing money or very close to it.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
do you have something set up yet? our interns are always surprised we pay $10/hour plus transportation. most don;t seem to pay at all.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My dad works for pfizer and it pays like 25-30 an hour. So it's basically already set up.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
that's a hell of an internship.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads