• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to live in NYC this time?

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Moving back to NYC in a month's time, need to find an apartment... The usual story.

So where should I live? I've lived all over the village (east and west both) and lived in south slope for a year. Favorite places were south slope and the west village, but I don't want that ridiculous commute to midtown from the slope and I don't want to pay west village prices for a three bedroom.

Is Williamsburg okay now? Have all the trust fund kids been run out to Bushwick and Fort Greene? Seems like there are a bunch of high end developments along the water, but just not sure what is going on there. East Village might be okay, but probably a little too nightlife oriented for a small baby. I've never even been to Long Island City which seems super convenient, but also from the few pics I have seen, appears to be faceless high rises all over the place...

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Personally I like the area of Williamsburg that is out a bit further on the L train. Off Graham ave and up north a bit almost Greenpoint maybe, I don't know, it is much less like times square for hipsters, some new developments too, very neighborhood vibe with a lot of new restuarants and such. I really like Prospect Heights as well, a lot going on down there for a young, but more mature crowd. I personally don't care for Long Island City, people hype it up, but I don't really understand it, other than nice condos there is really nothing else there.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I sort of get the feel that LIC is pretty dull.

I've heard that the L train is absolutely brutal in the mornings, and still unreliable. Is that still the case?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As far as I have noticed it is far better than it was 5 years ago.

turboman808

Reaction score
If I was to move back I really like the meat packing district. Really nice apartments, crazy night life and you are close to the water and parks for running, biking etc.

Also some great places to eat and pick up women!
fing02[1].gif

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turboman808
If I was to move back I really like the meat packing district. Really nice apartments, crazy night life and you are close to the water and parks for running, biking etc.

Also some great places to eat and pick up women!
fing02[1].gif

Married with a 5 month old, I'll just keep my mistress there
wink.gif

LIC might be fine - going to check it out. West village prices have gone insane since we left 3 years ago.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you working in Midtown East or West? If West, think about Hoboken - commute's not bad, prices are lower than the city (nanny/daycare especially) and it's much more kid-friendly than Manhattan.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd consider Hoboken - but my wife is working in the mid-50s and Broadway and I am working straight east of her on Park. Just slightly too long of a commute I think since it also involves transfers, etc. LIC is a straight shot so that is tempting, but we would like to live somewhere that doesn't require a car and has some character.

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
^Be a maverick and venture two steps farther into Queens on the 7 line. Look at Sunnyside (extremely easy commute to midtown east - safe, tree-lined community, but not boring) or Jackson Heights (extremely diverse, great restaurants and some of the city's best prewar apartment buildings outside Manhattan). Add 10 minutes onto your commute and check Forest Hills and/or Kew Gardens. Straight shot into midtown east on the express E train. Both are very baby-friendly communities.

-LIC has a lot of potential, but it's still finding its way from industrial to residential.
-Uptown Hoboken is family-friendly, but parks are scarce outside the waterfront and you won't get much bang for your buck. Plus much of the city is still full of Big East and Penn State frat boys vomitting all over Washington Street.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads