1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Where to go for first anniversary dinner in NYC?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mafoofan, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

Pasta tasting course at Babbo was fantastic.

I like Babbo. Have had several good meals there.

2. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Wife and I'll be in NY for one night--Oct 16--and are going to make it our 1st anniversary dinner even though we'll be a couple weeks out--dangerous, I know.

I assume there are good suggestions in this thread--unfortunately most of these places are already booked on Friday the 16 unless we want to eat at small timers' hour, i.e., 6pm. Any new recs? Unlike mafew, we probably prefer Italian to French but are open to whatever, and also unlike mafew, budget is not unlimited. Staying in the meatpacking dist, it seems, but don't need to eat there.

Il Gattopardo!!!!

3. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Alright, so two strikes against babbo.

Kidding, kidding!

4. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Alright, so two strikes against babbo.

Seriously, look into Il Gattopardo. It's easier to get a table there, the space is cozier and more romantic, and the food is as good as any other Italian in the city. Everyone knows Babbo; Gattopardo is a find.

5. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

Del Posto was excellent.

Perhaps Mia Dona if you're on a tight budget.

6. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Seriously, look into Il Gattopardo. It's easier to get a table there, the space is cozier and more romantic, and the food is as good as any other Italian in the city. Everyone knows Babbo; Gattopardo is a find.

Babbo downstairs was pretty damn cozy and romantic. Any more-so and it would have been suffocating. But, I will try your recommendation next time I'm in NYC.

7. romafan

romafan Senior member

Babbo downstairs was pretty damn cozy and romantic. Any more-so and it would have been suffocating. But, I will try your recommendation next time I'm in NYC.

moo - where's your nyc visit thread? i only saw that flag pix and some stray references to a spaghetti dinner. [​IMG]

scalini fideli in the old boley spot is pretty darn good.

8. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

moo - where's your nyc visit thread? i only saw that flag pix and some stray references to a spaghetti dinner. [​IMG]

scalini fideli in the old boley spot is pretty darn good.

It's coming... it has been pretty crazy since we came back, and we move Friday so the past week has been chock full of packing. In a week maybe...

9. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Another +1 to Eleven Madison Park.

I took my girlfriend there for her Birthday dinner back in July and the experience was just exquisite. Fantastic service that was very knowledgeable, attentive, but not overbearing. The food was magnificently creative, delightfully tasty, with imaginative presentation. The price is a tad heft for the tasting but well worth it for the experience.

10. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

Another +1 to Eleven Madison Park.

I took my girlfriend there for her Birthday dinner back in July and the experience was just exquisite. Fantastic service that was very knowledgeable, attentive, but not overbearing. The food was magnificently creative, delightfully tasty, with imaginative presentation. The price is a tad heft for the tasting but well worth it for the experience.

which menu did you get? The 'summer' tasting menu back in June/July was fantastic.

I really want to return for their suckling pig tasting menu.

11. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

which menu did you get? The 'summer' tasting menu back in June/July was fantastic.

Did the summer tasting which was quite good. We substituted prawn for the rabbit as the girlfriend had a bunch of pet rabbits growing up and was very fond of them. I think it was a good move as the prawn was great.

12. Ochowie

Ochowie Well-Known Member

The suckling pig menu is gone and has been replaced by a wild game menu that promises to be equally as good.