• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to get toe plates in NYC?

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
toeplate.jpg

toeplatetypes.jpg

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rockefeller -- the buildings between 5th and 6th aves and 48th to 50th streets.

well-kept

Reaction score
Few years ago I took two pair of Lobbs, bespoke, into the Lobb store on Madison for have steel toe plates installed. They sent them to Shoe Service on 55th. One pair came out okay. The second pair came back massacred, the sole ground down, the buried stitching exposed - on the waist!- ungainly thick thread used around the welt at the toe... I could go on. So beware, they do it, but at your own risk.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PHIL'S CUSTOM SHOE REPAIR
1070 Madison Ave (80-81)
212-288-1439

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think Shoe Service Plus's reputation as a good shoe repair place is based solely on their work on women's shoes. I've found their work on men's shoes to be decidedly unimpressive. The last straw for me was when they completely stripped all the antiquing off a pair of Grenson Masterpieces when I asked them if they could remove an oil spot.

I much prefer the guys at B Nelson shoe repair in the basement of 1221 6th Ave in the Rock Center. They recognize good shoes and treat them with the appropriate care. I have them put the plastic/rubber toe taps on all my shoes (EG, Grenson, C&J, etc), but I've never tried the metal inserts.

dan

well-kept

Reaction score
Tomasso, are you sure Phil can do steel toe plates? He does 100 percent of my shoe repair now and I'm pretty sure I asked him about this. I'll ask again.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by well-kept
Tomasso, are you sure Phil can do steel toe plates?

I've never had it done by anyone but I think that he'd be up to the task. The technique is similar to installing Topy where a portion of the sole is removed to accommodate the inlay.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads