• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to get photos printed

thewallychamp

Reaction score
Hey yooo,
Just been using my first DSLR, a Pentax Kx for about 5 months now.. and I'd like to get some stuff printed in nice high quality.

I tried Snapfish.com because they offered 75 free prints, but they were awful.. pixelated, blurry, and just not what I expected (8x10 and 6x4 I think I got)

So what are some suggestions for nice prints?
Online and shipped to my house would be the best method..

Avocat

Reaction score
Firstly, congratulations on your Pentax and welcome to the wonderful world of DSLR photography. I trust that you're enjoying it!! If it's high quality you want, see: Adorama http://www.adorama.com/ It's where the pros and serious amateurs go, and have for years (depending on what you want to spend of course). If you're like most starting out, you're likely capturing a ton of images, which adds up in printing costs (I hear you). If so and don't want to spend a lot of money on proofs (basic prints), then Costco is a really good option for you, I agree. Then, once you have your results, can decide what you want to do in terms of any enlargements, using Adorama for those. Just a thought for you, and enjoy your DSLR!

thewallychamp

Reaction score
cool gonna look into costco.. i definitely don't want high prices for printing right now, hopefully i won't have to sign up for membership or anything though.. might just have to raid them on a free trial or something

thewallychamp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Avocat
Firstly, congratulations on your Pentax and welcome to the wonderful world of DSLR photography. I trust that you're enjoying it!!

and i'm definitely loving it

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Costco, mpix.com, WHCC, westcoastimaging

If you want to print large, some Costcos offer a 'poster' option, 18x24 or 20x30, for less than $10 bucks - it's really an Epson 7800 print on photo paper, so it's a great deal.

re: pixellated and blurry, make sure it's not an issue on your end. Are you uploading JPGs sized appropriately for prints?

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
find a good sam's club. most professional photographers just develop at sam's/costco, especially if you find one where the manager of the lab is knowledgeable/takes pride in their ****.

Avocat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
re: pixellated and blurry, make sure it's not an issue on your end. Are you uploading JPGs sized appropriately for prints?
DSLR sensors are absolutely wonderful for most purposes. Pentax K-x's 12.4 megapixel APS-C-format CMOS sensor (total pixels: 12.9 million) is sufficient for rendering 20x30 posters from an arm's length view, depending on the glass (lens), although the quality starts to drop (Note: it's not a FX or a medium-format, but a DX, right?). I assumed by "blurry" Wallychamp meant softness, but could be wrong. Many labs don't have a good RIP to resample ("upres-ing") to produce a quality print, and those that do it wrong lose information. Ah, but your point is well taken, Milosz. (Let's assume Wallychamp's focus and exposure are correct, and that he's not upsampling and resampling in a program like CS 5 Pro for e.g. I know, he said he’s new to DSLRs, but doesn’t mean he’s new to photography, but could be, this is true). As to JPEG, it’s great for digital use (website use and photo sharing, like Flickr, etc.), and also basic prints; however, if moving into larger territory-like 11x14 up-shoot in RAW (more info/flexibility). JPEG’s easy to work with, true, but doesn’t resample for a quality image of that size no matter what program you use …
Originally Posted by thewallychamp
and i'm definitely loving it
Wonderful to hear! By all means, do share with us some of your images if you want. Would love to see.
smile.gif

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
iPhoto/Aperture is good - basically Kodak labs on prints (another lab I can't recall the name of for the books and stuff) but with Apple support in case you stuff something up. Only downside is they won't ship USPS on small orders, making shipping a little pricey (for small orders I go to Costco or print them myself).

Full disclosure: I worked for iPhoto/Aperture for a few years.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads