• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to get inexpensive quality suits

mort

Reaction score
Hello,
Going to to be starting a professional career in finance after graduating from college and looking for advice on where to buy quality suits at a low price or at least best bang for the buck. I will be in NYC. Open to any and all suggestions! Thanks guys.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheap and quality are rarely good bedfellows: How much do you want to spend on each? Without that key fact no one can advise you.

MrUsedThreads

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hello,
Going to to be starting a professional career in finance after graduating from college and looking for advice on where to buy quality suits at a low price or at least best bang for the buck. I will be in NYC. Open to any and all suggestions! Thanks guys.
Some will tell you to thrift around the city and see what you can come across, but to find those gems sometimes is few and far between. Taking a gander at some of the vendors here on SF is a good start, at least to see what's out there and what may align with your own palette as far as taste is concerned in the high-end garment world.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For starter stuff, Suit Supply is a good place to go browse.

mort

Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure of my budget, but thinking around 5-7 per suit and looking to get 2 or 3. Someone recommended Enzo custom tailors to me. Does anyone have experience with them? I will also take a look at Suit Supply. My main issues is also that I am tall (6'5) and quite skinny (205 lbs) with a 44" chest and a 34 waist in jeans so many off the rack options often make the pants and waist sizing too large. Thanks again or the advice guys.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure of my budget, but thinking around 5-7 per suit and looking to get 2 or 3. Someone recommended Enzo custom tailors to me. Does anyone have experience with them? I will also take a look at Suit Supply. My main issues is also that I am tall (6'5) and quite skinny (205 lbs) with a 44" chest and a 34 waist in jeans so many off the rack options often make the pants and waist sizing too large. Thanks again or the advice guys.
You perhaps should have mentioned that previously. Given your morphology, bespoke is your best chance to get a well-fitting suit. But that is not cheap, nor is it quick.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a 44c/35w and I usually go with a 44R jacket and have it altered but I'm only 5' 8" You will need a 44L. My guess is a minimum of a 19" shoulder (seam to seam). Being in finance I'd stick with the staples, navy blue, charcoal or grey.

Thift or Ebay will be your cheapest option for a reasonably good suit. You need to find a jacket that fits you fairly well first and take it's measurements if you go that route. Otherwise Suit Supply or Spier and Mackay would be good options. You can always upgrade once you have been working for a bit and can afford something you like better.

jts287

Reaction score
One thing I like about eBay is that sellers almost always provide measurements- waist, shoulders, chest, arm length. I'm 6'2, 195lbs, 21-22in. (pit to pit) chest, 34w. That puts me in a 40l for most brands, but a 42l in some. I'd guess you're 42l to 44l.

My advice: buy a soft measuring tape for a few bucks, take your measurements a bunch of times til you get your actual sizing, then look at some suits on eBay. I think Hugo Boss fits great, but they're fused. Brooks Brothers 1818 in Fitzgerald fit me well too.

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
Your max per suit is $700, you're 6'5" and 205, and you have a 10 inch drop? I think you'll have a hard time with RTW. I'd try MTM with Izzy at LS Menswear in Manhattan. His most basic offerings might just come near that price. Otherwise, Kent Wang MTM has given good results to SFers, and is just north of your price. I'd stay far away from all other online MTM.

MyTailor used to have $800 USD offerings, which was a good deal if it was Joe Hemrajani taking your measurements and giving the directions to the striker and the cutter. But looks like their price floor for suits is now 1000 USD.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your max per suit is $700, you're 6'5" and 205, and you have a 10 inch drop? I think you'll have a hard time with RTW. I'd try MTM with Izzy at LS Menswear in Manhattan. His most basic offerings might just come near that price. Otherwise, Kent Wang MTM has given good results to SFers, and is just north of your price. I'd stay far away from all other online MTM.

MyTailor used to have $800 USD offerings, which was a good deal if it was Joe Hemrajani taking your measurements and giving the directions to the striker and the cutter. But looks like their price floor for suits is now 1000 USD.

34 jeans is likely 35.5-36 true, same as me, luckily he has 7 more inches of height. You can look decent enough with an altered RTW as long as you aren't shopping at Macy's for it. It won't be ideal but coming out of college for your first job you have other priorities than a perfectly fitting suit.

You also don't want to look like a clown so find a good tailor.

pony_trekker

Reaction score
One thing I like about eBay is that sellers almost always provide measurements- waist, shoulders, chest, arm length. I'm 6'2, 195lbs, 21-22in. (pit to pit) chest, 34w. That puts me in a 40l for most brands, but a 42l in some. I'd guess you're 42l to 44l.

My advice: buy a soft measuring tape for a few bucks, take your measurements a bunch of times til you get your actual sizing, then look at some suits on eBay. I think Hugo Boss fits great, but they're fused. Brooks Brothers 1818 in Fitzgerald fit me well too.

Hugo Boss does sell suit separates.

I recently bought some Hugo Boss. I know they are fused but they happen to fit me very well. The first one I bought was at a Lord and Taylor sale for basically 70% off. Every time I wear that and others, I get consistent compliments.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For eBay here are some guidelines:

1. Go to stores and try on various models of suits.
If the same model(s) appear on eBay, then you are
sure what you are getting. I have followed this strategy very
successfully.

2. Make sure that the eBay merchants that you wish to buy from
offer complete refund ( not credit or exchange) Last year I got stuck
with a beautiful new Attolini cashmere sport coat which didn't
fit because the idiot who sold it did not how to measure. The posted
measurements were exactly my measurements, but in actuality were
inches off. The seller would not refund. Neither eBay, nor Pay Pal
ultimately supported my claim. One of these days I will put the
beauty up for sale.

3. Get an excellent alterations tailor. If you don't have one,
ask high-end mens shops or departments. Many use outside
tailors for special or difficult alterations. That's how I found mine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads