• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

where to get good, moderately priced gingham, houndstooth, and herringbone shirts

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hullo SW&D,

As some of you might have gathered from my previous posts, I'm a high school kid who's starting to try to dress better. Well, today, I picked up New Cures and a very slim H&M peacoat. I also have passably mediocre shoes and a solid collection of basic tees in basic, dark colors.

I figured that I might as well start thinking getting some clothes with actual character to them. I thought some slim-fitting (and when I say slim, I mean seriously narrow) button-ups would be a good place to start. I rather like the gingham, houndstooth, and herringbone ones that the model over on the self edge website are wearing. Hell, I even like J. Press Gingham sport shirts, but they'd probably not be slim enough.

Any suggestions for moderately priced (pricier than H&M, but preferably not much more than ~$75) shirts like those I described? I'm also open to suggestions for any other shirts with the same "classic Ivy League vibe," that aren't in the exact patterns I mentioned.

Thanks much,
wmmk

Casey

Reaction score
If you're thinking Ivy League, Rugby Ralph Lauren is having a sale on shirts. And if you type in hol2008 when you check out, you can get 30% off everything.

If you're in Chicago, you could do good for yourself just by looking around town. Barneys CO-OP might have good sales this season, although I don't know if the shirts go under $75.

If you go to Filene's Basement or Loehmann's, you might get lucky and find some decent slim fit shirts as well. I find DKNY and John Varvatos shirts to be fairly slim and they may just barely slip into your prace range if you look for them.

wiru

Reaction score
This would be a great question for the "small questions" thread.

For gingham, Ben Sherman is good. warriorclothing.org carries the ones you want (i.e. non-amjack)

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 241 32.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 119 15.8%
  • 31 - 40