• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to get Docs on the cheap?

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheapest I find is on ebay for about $75..if I find my size. How do Docs run btw? True to size, a little big?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
they're UK tagged so it runs one size larger than marked. a UK 8 = US 9

and they don't come in half sizes so if you're in between, prolly best to go down to nearest number since they run a bit roomy

cheapest place I've seen is at fleamarkets....saw quite a few last weekend at the Rose Bowl antique swapmeet in Pasadena

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear a 9.5 in Dunks, 10 in SBs. I do have a pair of motorcycle boots in a 9..guess I am a 9.

How much did you see them for at the fleamarket?

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
It's funny you bring this up, I saw someone wearing a Black pair this past weekend (nicely broken in) and I thought, outside of the hardcore Doc fan base these suckers could make a nice comeback this year.

Get Smart!, I was over at the Rose Bowl also, nice weather but I didn't find anything worth picking up. There was alot of good outerwear and vintage work boots, I just didn't need either. Even the Japanese guys shopping carts were empty!.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Rye, I was surprised at how uncrowded it was too, considering the perfect weather for walking around.

I didnt find much myself either, but my fiancee got what she wanted, some vintage eyeglass frames from our friend Scott who runs Allyn Scura vintage eyewear

btw, I've seen good shape used Docs in the $30-40 range

Dill

Reaction score
I got a pair on STP a few years ago for around $50.

ghostdeini

Reaction score
yeah I got my 2nd pair for about $50 at a flea market when I was in london many years ago... they were brand new, still fit me to this day. I would definitely look there first if that's an option for you

Max

Reaction score
They're made in thailand now and the quality has gone way down. Try to find an old made in england pair.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So would it be right to assume I need a UK8 (US 9) ? I wear a 9.5 in Vans as well..

ghostdeini

Reaction score
hey Max any idea when they switched the production over? I don't remember the exact year I went on my trip, but both of my pairs say made in england

and do they still write made in england even though they're not? i know sunglasses can get away with being made in china and still have "made in italy" stamped into the frames, so I was just curious.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
if anything they'll say "Designed in England"

iirc, the change in manufacturing happened mid-90s?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The are made in a variety of places nowadays. The oxfords I have are made in Poland IIRC, and seem much better made than older ones I had seen. YMMV, IANAL etc etc etc
So I would not avoid them just because of where they are manufactured. Probably best to take it on a case by case basis.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a pair I want to get right now for $40..they're 6-eye..worth it? Also, seller claims the inside says it's size 9...what does that translate to in US? 10? he claims it's an 8 US..sole is 11.25"

"11 1/4 INCHES-THE SOLE EXTENDS ABOUT A HALF INCH FROM THE ACTUAL BOOT PART.THAT'S 1/4 INCH IN FRONT AND 1/4 INCH IN THE BACK."

I tried a 10US today and that is too big..I think maybe even an 8US would work for me..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics