• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to get cheap tuxedo in NYC?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, you were just really lucky. I never ceased to be surprised by the number of posts saying "I need a really good suit for [some really low price] and I need it within the week." There's good, cheap, and fast and you can generally get only two of those. You were really lucky. Congrats, tho. That tux should last you a while or at least until the three-button/notch lapel conundrum starts to really bug you.
smile.gif

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, I'm lucky I have you guys or I would be clueless...

...well unfortunately I still am. I have no clue about formalwear. At all! I searched and searched but could not find a FAQ about tuxedos. What different lapels are called, and when they are appropriate. What different shirt types signify. What double-breasted means as opposed to single-breasted (just the extra pocket?). Cufflinks, cuffs, pleated/non-pleated, shoes. Cummerbund or vest? What part of the outfit should match the date? No Clue!

Now I don't want you have you guys answer a thousand sophomoric questions on here. So is there a resource that explains all these things to a newbie who has no clue about ANY of this terminology? Thanks again!

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
Actually, you were just really lucky.

This fact can not be overstated.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, we don't really have any of the basic stuff together in one place.

Lapels -- peak and shawl are considered traditional or "correct" for tuxedos (generally called "dinner jackets" or DJs here). The notch lapel, while very common lately, is a carryover from business suits and few tailored clothing enthusiasts would seek out one.

Peak lapel:
P10018116.jpg

Shawl lapel:
172_large.jpg

Notch lapel:
retail14.jpg

Single-breasted vs. double-breasted applies to any kind of jacket. All the jackets above are single-breasted. The jacket below is double-breasted as characterized by the "overlap" on the closure of the jacket. Double-breasted jackets should almost always be peak lapel.
26_photo.jpg

Cummerbunds and vests should always cover the waistband of your trousers as that should never be visible in a DJ. If you're wearing a DB jacket, it should remain buttoned covering your waistband so neither a cummerbund nor a vest is required. If you choose a vest, the low-buttoning vests are more traditional than the brightly-colored, high-buttoning monstrosities you'll find in any cheap rental place these days.

Shirts -- typically a turn-down collar is worn with a DJ. Some people prefer wing collars, but those were traditionally worn with white tie/tails rather than a DJ. The front of the shirt can be either pleated or pique. The shirt will have double cuffs requiring cuff links for closure.

Wing collar, pleated front:
qtr_wing_nw.jpg

Wing collar, pique front:
pique_wing.jpg

Turn-down (regular) collar, pleated front:
shirtturndown.jpg

Shoes should be black patent or highly-polished calf black balmorals. Opera pumps are also correct.

Opera pumps:
opera.jpg

Patent balmorals (altho the captoe is technically incorrect on these):
Chatham-A_L.jpg

Do get a white linen or cotton pocket square for your breast pocket like the one on the notch lapel jacket above.

Which part should match your date? Probably none. You might consider a colored pocket square that coordinates with your date if you're really set on the idea. The general concept of semiformal wear for men is that it's very uniform and provides a canvas against which the women look good. That appears to be somewhat lost on most men these days. Try to set yourself apart from the unwashed masses by wearing a good quality, properly fitted traditional DJ rather than some 5-button junk with a neon green vest or whatever they're pushing at the local rent-a-tux.

dan

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Very informative. Thank you Dan!

As far as cummerbund vs. vest, what factors go into the decision? I am 5'11'' 150lbs, so pretty skinny. Does one of those go better with a certain body type?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent post, Dan. It's just about pin-able for use as a primer. Just a couple of additions.

Bow tie(self tied) should be black and match the lapel(grosgrain or satin) and cummerbund/vest(?).

Front placket of the shirt should be fitted with studs(matching or complementing the cufflinks),or have "interesting" buttons or have a covered placket.

Silk over-the-calf stockings.

I'll let others address outerwear, scarves, gloves and hats.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Very informative. Thank you Dan!

As far as cummerbund vs. vest, what factors go into the decision? I am 5'11'' 150lbs, so pretty skinny. Does one of those go better with a certain body type?

I prefer a vest. 5'11" and 150 lbs describes fairly little. What is your chest size and waist measurement and inseam length. If you are about my size and fitness level (I am 5'11" and was about 152 lbs postworkout this afternoon - 40 chest, 31 waist) you can wear pretty much anything and it'll look at least decent - sample sales are my friend. If your measurements are non-standard, tell us, and will make suggestions. I usually wear a vest (my tux is a really slim Costume National deal) or nothing. I dislike cumberbunds, but that is a personal preference.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I prefer a vest. 5'11" and 150 lbs describes fairly little. What is your chest size and waist measurement and inseam length. If you are about my size and fitness level (I am 5'11" and was about 152 lbs postworkout this afternoon - 40 chest, 31 waist) you can wear pretty much anything and it'll look at least decent - sample sales are my friend. If your measurements are non-standard, tell us, and will make suggestions. I usually wear a vest (my tux is a really slim Costume National deal) or nothing. I dislike cumberbunds, but that is a personal preference.

39 chest, 31 waist. I'd like to wear a vest because I will be taking the jacket off eventually and I think a vest looks better than a cummerbund without a jacket. Is it better to go for the low-button vest and not the higher-up button vest?

Also, since I am already asking so many questions, do you think Wilfred's could take care of bringing in the waist a little, extending the sleeves a bit, and narrowing the pants? Within a week? Thanks.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Also, since I am already asking so many questions, do you think Wilfred's could take care of bringing in the waist a little, extending the sleeves a bit, and narrowing the pants? Within a week? Thanks.
Im gonna take a punt based on your self confessed cluelessness and say that if the sleeves feel 'a bit' short to a new wearer, they are probably about the right length.

New guys always always wear their sleeves too long.

Post some pics of yourself wearing the jacket up here and you should get some pretty detailed advice about what needs to be done to it.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
Im gonna take a punt based on your self confessed cluelessness and say that if the sleeves feel 'a bit' short to a new wearer, they are probably about the right length.

New guys always always wear their sleeves too long.

Post some pics of yourself wearing the jacket up here and you should get some pretty detailed advice about what needs to be done to it.

You're good m@T.

I saw a great deal on a Borelli formal shirt(Ebay) in 15 1/2. Beautiful.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
PICTURES:

Please tell me what needs tailoring. I think the shoulders are good, maybe a bit tight. Waist okay, maybe take it in. Sleeves lengthened. Note: The shorts I am wearing are NOT part of the tuxedo, neither is the t-shirt. I know, fashion faux pas, so sue me
tongue.gif

Front Relaxed
http://tinyurl.com/q57u6

Back Relaxed
http://tinyurl.com/nnwws

Front Arms Out
http://tinyurl.com/qnfnj

Back Arms Reaching Forward
http://tinyurl.com/qupeb

Front Unbuttoned Relaxed
http://tinyurl.com/pmocn

Thanks a bunch!

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The waist can definitely be taken in.

Find a low cut waistcoat. The high ones look absolutely horrible.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
do you have one arm longer than the other, or is it just not quite sitting right at your shoulders?

yup, take in the waist and it will give a very nice silhouette.

btw - i think Dans post is wikiworthy (if we still doing that)

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think its mostly the way I stand. Maybe one arm is a little longer but nothing noticeable.

So far

1) Take in Waist

Not clear about whether you guys think the sleeves need to be lengthened or if it will look okay with the shirt cuff showing.

Shoulders are okay or tight?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads