1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Where to get cheap tuxedo in NYC?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MetroStyles, May 4, 2006.

1. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Stylish Dinosaur

By cheap I mean I do not want to spend more than $750 on the shirt, pants, and jacket.

I have a formal event coming up, and I figure to be going to 2 or 3 of those per year from here on out. However, as I am just graduating college, I do not want to spend too much. If I need a "NICE" tux in three to four years, well, then I will have more than enough money to shell out $2000 on something. Not now though.

The thing is, I need the tux for Sunday, May 14. I could go shopping tomorrow on May 5 or on Monday, May 8. I want it by Sunday though.

So the question: I need one that fits okay. Where do I go in Manhattan for this price range? Also, it is best to get it off the rack and then go to a tailor, right? Problem is, I hope I can get something that fits decent right away since I need it fast.

I really do not like renting a tux, so I appreciate your help folks. Thank you.

2. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior Member

Run, don't walk to the Hickey Freeman sample sale where a tux can be had for around $300. Today is the last day.

3. chorse123

chorse123 Stylish Dinosaur

Ditto. People were buying them this morning $300 for a quality tux is a STEAL. If you use it three times total, you'll probably still save money in the long run.

4. MetroStyles

Okay!! Where is it? I'm gonna run there right now. Do they have enough sizes or just really weird sizes?

5. billiebob

billiebob Senior Member

I got one, and immediately called up a friend who got one as well.

They aren't the "proper" styles being either

a. three button peak lapel dual rear vent
    b. 1 button notch lapel single vent

but for 300 bucks for a full canvas tux I'm not arguing.

6. billiebob

billiebob Senior Member

18th st between 6th and 7th ave, north side. They had lots of sizes yesterday, but they're going fast. More available 44 and above. It's worth a shot.

Also, if you need suits, $1400 suits are selling for 579 and they have tons of them, top quality stuff.

7. Tomasso

Tomasso Distinguished Member

I the HF sale doesn't pan out, there's a Filene's and a Loehmann's in the same neighborhood.

8. MetroStyles

Guys,

I just wanted to say THANK YOU SO MUCH! I got a beautiful tuxedo for $300 and I will only need minor alterations. They actually had some in my size (38-40), so I lucked out.

Anyone have any idea how much these Hickey Freeman tuxes are originally?

Thanks again guys. You saved my ass!

9. Margaret

Margaret Distinguished Member

Guys,

I just wanted to say THANK YOU SO MUCH! I got a beautiful tuxedo for $300 and I will only need minor alterations. They actually had some in my size (38-40), so I lucked out.

Anyone have any idea how much these Hickey Freeman tuxes are originally?

Thanks again guys. You saved my ass!

Good deal. What is the styling?

10. MetroStyles

Good deal. What is the styling?

http://www.hickeyfreeman.com/website...1398100%5F015&

The one on the right. It looks exactly the same but I find it hard to believe I paid $300 for something going for $1500. Whether that is the exact one or not, that is what it looks like.

11. chorse123

chorse123 Stylish Dinosaur

You picked one hell of a day to decide to buy a tux. Congratulations! Nothing like an essential at 80% off.

12. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior Member

That is the great part of this forum. Where can one post a question, get a response in minutes and walk away with a great deal. Well done.

13. billiebob

billiebob Senior Member

That is indeed the exact tux you (and I) bought. It retails for 1495 and goes on sale occasionally for 1000. Lucky day, eh?

Stick around on the forum and we'll have you pretty well kitted out for 80% off.

14. MetroStyles

Seriously you guys rock. I felt like some kind of VIP calling up my stylist and telling them I need a tux ASAP, and getting it done in less than an hour. Amazing stuff.

15. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

Wow - that is a steal!

Great tux - sorry I don't live anywhere near NYC... the suits sounds like a steal as well.