• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to get a suit tailored?

immax01

Reaction score
Before I start, I have been lurking for a few weeks and have learned a lot from you guys. Thanks.

I purchased a suit from the Brooks Brothers Outlet store. I know there are some negative opinions on the BB 346 suits but I went to several stores looking for, and trying on suits. The BB suit fit me better than other, more expensive suits (other than a Hugo Boss i tried on, but I don't have $800 to spend on a suit just yet).

Now my question is whether i should go to BB to get the suit waist taken in a bit, or if i should go to a local tailor. I have gone to a local dry cleaner to get pants shortened, but i wouldn't trust them to work on a jacket.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

nelly

Reaction score
1. Go on a website called google or yelp
2. Search for "tailors" that are in your area, use your zip code
3. Organize by rating
4. Confirm tailor by searching style forum's definitive tailor threads

DrPsycho

Reaction score
Agreed. There's a nice lady at the local dry cleaners who has a keen eye for fit who I give pants for hems, waist/seat adjustment, etc. I'm thinking of bringing her a 'trial' shirt to tailor.

Anything more complicated than that is another story.

You'll find a quality tailor best combining nelly's suggestion with word-of-mouth / personal recommendations. I lucked out when I posted a plea on Facebook, of all things. Go in and chat with prospective tailors about their training, experience, services, recent commissions, etc...

It can be hard to find a real master tailor in this bulk manufacturing world. Best of luck. Good hunting!

Wolfador

Reaction score
If you have a BB retail store nearby they have an in house tailor that will be able to do your alterations.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads