• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to get a 39L suit

oakdog8

Reaction score
This is my first post on here but I've been reading for a while. I'm in college and looking to buy my first good suit. My only problem has been finding anything that fits. I'm 5'10" and 160 lbs. I need a 39L jacket, however no place I've been to carries that size. This spring I'll be in New York, where I'll stop at Syms to see if they have anything. I need to stay under $400. Any tips?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two things.

- are you sure you are a long? 5'10" should fit a regular fine.

-Paul stuart carries lots of odd sizes like 39L, but price wise may be out of your range.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers 1818's come in 39's. If they don't have the one you want in the store they can order it up for you. They're on sale for $598 each right now.

oakdog8

Reaction score
Yeah, I have really long arms. I wear a 15 36 shirt, which is hard enough to find. I'll check out Paul Stuart.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a 39L too, just find a 40L that fits slim and it will probably work for you. I wear Polo 40L with a few alterations and it works for me. Black Label fits me almost perfect off the rack. Also some of the european labels make a 48L EU which fits like a US 39L.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
A Brooks Brothers 1818 Fitzgerald in 40L ought to work well for you.

yo!

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oakdog8
Yeah, I have really long arms. I wear a 15 36 shirt, which is hard enough to find. I'll check out Paul Stuart.
If this is your criteria for wearing a long rather than a regular you are wrong. Please refer to this http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=71584 thread. The arm length can be altered, the coat cannot. However I do note that some R jackets have less extra fabric in the sleeves than others. EDIT: I am 6' 1" with 36" arms and I am on the border between R and L as far as jacket length goes. At 5'10" you should be a perfect R length.

oakdog8

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yo!
If this is your criteria for wearing a long rather than a regular you are wrong. Please refer to this http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=71584 thread. The arm length can be altered, the coat cannot. However I do note that some R jackets have less extra fabric in the sleeves than others. EDIT: I am 6' 1" with 36" arms and I am on the border between R and L as far as jacket length goes. At 5'10" you should be a perfect R length.
I feel like I'm just into Long territory. I went in yesterday to have a JosBanks coat let out in the sleeves and they told me there wasn't enough fabric and it's a 39R. Nonetheless, all the suits mentioned so far are out of my price point whether I get a R or L. I could maybe swing a BrooksBrothers if I they come down just a bit more.

pkincy

Reaction score
It is difficult. I do think that suits are regularly made from 36 on up. But you likely need to go to a large city and a large store or have your haberdasher order the suit. When I was your age I also wore a 39L but that many years ago I generally could find a few in stock in most major dept stores in major cities.

I solved the problem by eating a lot and now wear a 44L...<g>

Perry

You might try a e50L from a store that sells Italian clothing. that tends to be a bit tighter than a 40L (about a 39.4L). You will need to find them on sale to hit your price point however.

puritansnowman

Reaction score
There is a beautiful 3-roll-2 navy wool suit at J. Press in Cambridge right now. It's been there for months. I tried it on back in september, and then again a couple of weeks ago. Its really nice.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You could just hit the gym for 3 months and up yourself to a 40L. More selection that way.

yo!

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
You could just hit the gym for 3 months and up yourself to a 40L. More selection that way.
Ha, I just do pushups and pull ups everyday for three weeks and I gain 3 inches in the chest.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are a regular. Just get the sleeves lengthened.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads