• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to find tight-fitting button-up shirts?

amdi8

Reaction score
I'm looking for some reasonably tight fitting (or at least not baggy) button-up shirts. Mostly to wear with jeans, probably untucked.

I bought a Premium Fit shirt from the Gap the other night (small size) and it was pretty good. But it could be a bit tighter, especially around the waist area. It was a really nice feel and pattern though.

So, what's a good source for nice-fitting shirts? I'm aiming at around $50-$80 per shirt.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Target...

no really. Go to Target. $20 buys you a pretty nice shirt and they are quite slim fit.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Target...

no really. Go to Target. $20 buys you a pretty nice shirt and they are quite slim fit.

I agree!

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Target...

Oh, Jesus, One more thing for me to buy at target... thanks for the advice.

mendel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amdi8
I'm looking for some reasonably tight fitting (or at least not baggy) button-up shirts. Mostly to wear with jeans, probably untucked.

I bought a Premium Fit shirt from the Gap the other night (small size) and it was pretty good. But it could be a bit tighter, especially around the waist area. It was a really nice feel and pattern though.

I really like a few of Gap's Premium Fit shirts I bought last year. They're decently put together, too, with a split yoke, collar stays, and so on, although I'd like to see them a little cheaper. Although of the few I have I like the sport shirts better than the dress shirts.

There are lots of places to get tailored shirts, and others will be better at suggesting places because I'm up in Canada -- but as for the one you already have that you wish was slimmer, swing it by a tailor and make it so, either by taking in the sides or by adding darts.

Reaction score
H&M has tight shirts, cheap.
i find that vintage shirts fit tighter, esp. if they've got darts.

metkirk

Reaction score
Darts are too feminine in my opinion and it's just a poor sign of a badly done side seams
teacha.gif
I'd suggest you buy a sewing machine and fix your own shirts. Most of my shirts are fixed to fit my body esp. now I have a pair of SJ on me; the top can't look baggy when the bottom's fitted
tounge.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
I agree!

yea if you're around a true medium, the Target Mossimo buttonup size S will fit perfectly like a designer fitted shirt. They fit me so well I ended up buying 3, for $60. The other shirts at Target fit like a normal blousy shirt, but check out the Mossimo dress shirts, they come in 3 stripe patterns, and I've seen 4 check patterns but every store seems to have a different stock...I had to go to 4 different stores before finding all the shirts I wanted in my size.

Tiranis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
H&M has tight shirts, cheap.

Second that. H&M shirts are awesome for the price.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
H&M shirts are good, unless you have wide shoulders. I had to get an XL and slim it down to accommodate for the shoulder width.

veggieman

Reaction score
i agree with the H+M.... some are really tight (i think depending on the designer).

when i went to macys they had some INC that fit REALLY nice. If you go there check them out.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by knucks
H&M shirts are good, unless you have wide shoulders. I had to get an XL and slim it down to accommodate for the shoulder width.

As a frequent H&M buyer, I will second this. H&M shirts that slim down enough in the waist are often too tight in the shoulders and upper chest. This sometimes varies, however. Certain Zara shirts (which are about the same price as H&M shirts when they're on sale) fit a little better. Though some fit worse, too, so (as always) try them on first.

amdi8

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
yea if you're around a true medium, the Target Mossimo buttonup size S will fit perfectly like a designer fitted shirt.

That's my problem. I'm more like a true small (5'10" 145lb I take a 38R or 36R on jackets). So it sounds like the Target ones will be too large on me (unless they have XS). I'll check them out next time I'm there though.

amdi8

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tiranis
Second that. H&M shirts are awesome for the price.

Damn, that seems to be one of the major clothing stores around here (San Diego) that we don't have. I see there's one in LA but it doesn't even open until a couple of weeks from now.

Are you guys buying H&M shirts online, or in some store? Do department stores like Macy's carry them?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads