Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Where to find reasonable priced english cut suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spatten, Oct 5, 2004.

1. spatten

spatten Senior member

With the discussion of suit silhouettes I am intrigued by the idea of an English suit, or as I read it, a structured suit with a good deal of wait suppresion. I can think of countless examples of sack suits in my comfort range (~1000&#036[​IMG], but I drown in them. Does anyone know of some good English style suits in that price range? I tend to wear a 46 in the chest, but then I have a 36" waist, so I am guessing the English style would look better on me - and I like the aesthetics. I understand the advantages of bespoke, MTM and the like - but they are not real world for me and I am not particular enough to notice or pay for several of the handcrafted notions. Any thoughts? Currently I settle for suits at Neimans Rack Last Call, and have chosen the Zegna suits as the best fit so far at approx (600&#036[​IMG]. Thanks, Scott

2. VMan

VMan Senior member

Paul Smith makes makes some nice-looking suits with the style you are looking for. Fair amount of waist supression.

The retail price ranges from under a thousand, to just under a thousand. I believe this is for his Paul Smith London line. I know there are a few, so maybe someone can correct me.

You should be able to find them easily at 30-50% off, either at sales, or on eBay.

Not too sure about construction. Perhaps someone can give a better suggestion.

3. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

*DING* you have just made your 1000th post. [​IMG] you are an inspiration to us all.

4. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Holy smokes LA Guy, Versaceman is closing on us. I'd better post more smilies [​IMG]

5. spatten

spatten Senior member

Thanks Versaceman, I will check out Paul Smith.

Anybody else have other ideas? I guess I should have written the topic heading as "what suit makers" instead of "where to find" - as that is really what I am asking.

Thanks,
    Scott

6. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

Paul Smith = very bad quality for the money. The "around $1000" suit is fused crap.

Where are you located? WW Chan makes the quintessential English suit as their house style. If you live in a major city, I'd get a fitting on their U.S. tour and get one from them for around $800.