1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Where to find light brown edge dressing

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dah328, Apr 4, 2006.

1. dah328

dah328 Distinguished Member

I'm well-covered on dark brown edge dressing thanks to recommendations for either Allen Edmonds or Kieblings (sp?) edge dressing. What about light brown edge dressing? For example, I have a pair of RLPL Edwardian antique captoes and a pair of Stuart's Choice captoes in tobacco suede which both have light brown sole edges and darkening them would significantly alter the look of the shoe.

dan

2. JLibourel

JLibourel Distinguished Member

I am wondering if A-E's chili-colored sole and edge dressing would fill the bill. I thought they had a chestnut-colored one as well, but I can't find it on their website.

3. Roger

Roger Distinguished Member

I am wondering if A-E's chili-colored sole and edge dressing would fill the bill. I thought they had a chestnut-colored one as well, but I can't find it on their website.
    That's the way I went when I discovered that A-E doesn't have anything lighter (and that no one else does either). It's certainly not perfect--a little too red for some tans--but works pretty well with my English chestnut-colored shoes. Mind you, what the Brits call chestnut has definite reddish tones in it and is not to be confused with A-E's version of chestnut. On some shoes, I like a lighter edge dressing because it allows the layered leather in the heel to show to advantage. However, one can certainly get by without edge-dressing by simply applying polish (tan in this case) to the sole and heel edges--being careful while doing so not to get it on the bottom. When I follow that drill, I usually end up by giving the bottom of the soles and heels a rub-down with ordinary isopropyl alcohol before wearing the shoes.

4. jcusey

jcusey Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Fiebing's Leather Dye comes in a tan color, and that works very well. I bought my bottle from Franco's, but I'm sure that there are a lot of other sources.

5. furo

furo Distinguished Member

What would you guys recommend for the standard Alden Chrome Excel colored 405 Indy Boot?

I have an awful scuff on the edge that needs dressing

6. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Distinguished Member

Try some KIWI light brown wax polish. If applied with your finger in a thin coat, it will be almost as clear, yet once brushed, it will deepen and beautify the sole edging while preserving the character that is developing. Or is the intention to make the sole edges like factory new?

7. facet

facet Senior Member

I asked AE about edge dressing for my Augustas and was informed to go with the natural edge dressing. Maybe that could be an option for you?