Where to find jeans?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jshires, Apr 8, 2006.

1. jshires

jshires Member

Hey guys I have been reading this site for a few weeks. Can anyone tell me where is the closest place to Memphis Tn that I could try on selvage denim of any brand?

2. Max

Max Senior member

Old navy has selvage if you look for it. H&M has had some decent selvage. Just go shopping and look for it on the pants. High-end status symbol selvage is a different story.

3. moosy

moosy Senior member

there is no difference between selvedge and non selvedge denim. I am not sure what you will acheive by trying them on.
    Selvedge denim is highly correlated with high quality denim and good cut ergo a good pair of jeans. But looking just for selvedge is no guarantee at all of anything.

4. minya

minya Senior member

there is no difference between selvedge and non selvedge denim. I am not sure what you will acheive by trying them on.
    Yes, there is a difference between shuttle loom denim and wide loom denim.

\tOld navy has selvage if you look for it. H&M has had some decent selvage.
    Old Navy doesn't have selvage jeans.

5. Max

Max Senior member

I was buying some flip flops in Providence a few weeks ago and spied a stack of non-faded, slim-legged selvage jeans. All the other jeans were serged, but there was definitely 1 type with red/white selvedges. You just have to look for them. I wouldn't <i>wear</i> them, but it's interesting to note how the elitist jeans trend is working its way down the retail chain.

6. minya

minya Senior member

I was buying some flip flops in Providence a few weeks ago and spied a stack of non-faded, slim-legged selvage jeans. All the other jeans were serged, but there was definitely 1 type with red/white selvedges. You just have to look for them. I wouldn't <i>wear</i> them, but it's interesting to note how the elitist jeans trend is working its way down the retail chain.
    The selvage on those is faked; they're not made from actual actual shuttle loom denim.

7. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    Trying going to "Bloke"
    Her web site is www.shopbloke.com
    Melody carries some cool shit.

8. Max

Max Senior member

Selvage: The edge of a fabric that is woven so that it will not fray or ravel. From "self-edge."

Selvage has nothing to do with denim specifically, it's a term that can be used to describe the non-fraying edges of any fabric. Kilts are traditionally made from selvage tartan wool. I've got a few yards of selvage cotton fleece sitting in my closet.

9. jshires

jshires Member