Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Where to find H. Lesser clothes + Price Range

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sisman, Apr 9, 2005.

1. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

Not complicated at all.  Lesser very simply group the 10 oz cloth in one book, their 11/12 oz cloth in another book, and their 13 oz cloth in yet another book.  Don't stress over it.  Just take your time looking through the books, which can be quite enjoyable, actually.  Let your tailor figure out how many meters of cloth are needed. Leave your propeller cap and pocket conversion calculator at home.
    Grayson

2. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

This actually brings up the issue of timing. Since it can take a couple months for a suit to be completed, if you're interested in a Winter-weight suit, you'll need to time that commitment accordingly. If you order a Winter suit in the Winter, especially with traveling tailors, it may well end up being ready in the Spring.
    Grayson

3. sisman

sisman Member

Concordia,
    I agree with you and would love to try a London tailor (Darren surely...) but I can't really afford that for now. I've found a very nice and excellent tailor (at least to my standards), in my budget, and I want to continue the relationship with him.

Cheers

4. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

sisman: I have some Lesser 13, and do not find it so hot. Â I would not wear it in July or August, but I don't consider it a January suit either. Â More of a "'tween" suit for early spring and fall. Â But mine is a two-piece, and I might feel differently if it were three. Â Now, Lesser 16 oz.: that's a winter suit. Â It comes with its own central heating system.

5. sisman

sisman Member

You're right about the timing issue. I just ordered a new suit and will see how long it takes...

6. sisman

sisman Member

Weather in Belgium can be compared to weather in England so indeed a 13oz may have an extended life over here... My main concern is to find fabrics that can resist to water as it is raining a lot in Belgium [​IMG]

7. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

By the way, Sisman, if you like the final suit your tailor makes for you and, presumably, forge a lasting relationship, you might suggest that he contact Lesser to open an account, which would enable you to have more convenient access to the full Lesser ranges. I did this with a tailor in New York and Lesser was very accommodating.
    Grayson

8. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Get a raincoat. Water is not the best thing for wool. Worst case scenario: if the wool soaks through, it might shrink in places. The better the cloth (and the better the finishing) the less likely this is to happen, but it's not worth the risk.

9. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

For rainy environments, the 11/12 oz cloth would stand you in better stead. The 10 oz cloth would need pressing much sooner if in the rain a lot, whereas the heavier cloth will bounce back into shape more readily. I have worn my 11/12 oz suits more times than I can keep track of and they don't even need pressings.
    Grayson

10. sisman

sisman Member

Was thinking to do that too, I'll have a talk with him. Thanks for your advices with the rain issues guys [​IMG]

11. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

If you like your local tailor and respect his skills, my advice, as someone who's been around the block and around the "Row", would be to count your blessings and stay out of the London sartorial jungle. Â You'll add years to your life, enabling you to get even more use out of your fine clothes [​IMG] Grayson

12. sisman

sisman Member

I agree with you and would love to try a London tailor (Darren surely...) but I can't really afford that for now. I've found a very nice and excellent tailor (at least to my standards), in my budget, and I want to continue the relationship with him.
    If you like your local tailor and respect his skills, my advice would be to count your blessings and stay out of the London sartorial jungle. You'll add years to your life, enabling you to get even more use out of your fine clothes [​IMG] Grayson
    Well... my tailor lives in India so it is not really an easy relationship... [​IMG] but the guy is very nice, seems to be very good, and is very affordable so I can make some sacrifices...

13. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

By the way, another firm held in very high regard, along with Lesser's, is Harrisons of Scotland, you might want to have a look at later on, just to expand your horizons a bit. Harrisons' has a 10.5 oz range called Frontiers and an 11 oz range called Premier Cru that are a staple. Harrisons is one of the few really good sources of traditional Prince of Wales woolens, as well as Black Watch and Tartan patterns.
    Grayson

14. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

(lisapop @ April 09 2005,07:31) Quote I agree with you and would love to try a London tailor (Darren surely...) but I can't really afford that for now. I've found a very nice and excellent tailor (at least to my standards), in my budget, and I want to continue the relationship with him.
    If you like your local tailor and respect his skills, my advice would be to count your blessings and stay out of the London sartorial jungle. Â You'll add years to your life, enabling you to get even more use out of your fine clothes [​IMG] Grayson
    Well... my tailor lives in India so it is not really an easy relationship... Â [​IMG] but the guy is very nice, seems to be very good, and is very affordable so I can make some sacrifices...[/quote] Who is your tailor in India? Do you get over there often?

15. sisman

sisman Member

lisapop: thanks again for the advice. I'll keep an eye on the Harrisson's

RJman: it was my first visit to India a couple of weeks ago. If you don't mind, I will not give his name publicly without his agreement.