• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to find casual button down shirts (untucked)...

Jay687

Reaction score
Hey, first post and glad to find this forum, seems like a place that could help.

Anyway, have worn Gap clothes for a while and have some some button downs from there that are "classic fit" and go down a bit more than halfway down my zipper. I usually leave them open though, so doesn't seem very long.

Today went to buy some new ones and everything (on the site as well) are all "fitted." This seems good since the ones I have are a bit wide towards the bottom, but I felt like everything was a bit too long... all covering my entire zipper.

Now, maybe they will shrink and come up an inch or so more like the ones I currently wear?

What is the length untucked button down shirts should be anyway? It seems the ones I have are JUST barely long enough to be tucked. So if I lift my arms, the shirt just reachs my belt. Is it that generally a good fit?

And if that is not a good fit, where can I find casual button downs? The ones I tried on today were also slightly long on the sleeve, but I roll my sleeves most of the time anyway...

*edit, if it helps, my measurements: chest - 39", neck - 15", sleeves: 32", waist: 30"

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to SF. Did I understand you correctly? You leave your shirts untucked?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
Welcome to SF. Did I understand you correctly? You leave your shirts untucked?
laugh.gif

Jay687

Reaction score
Yes, when I wear jeans, I leave the shirt untucked. In a more formal setting (and not with jeans in this case), I do tuck my shirt in.

Anyway... can anyone help me? I assume I am not the only one who wears untucked button downs with jeans.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Save for you, I don't think anyone here would admit to wearing shirts untucked.

Jay687

Reaction score
Really? Curious as to why wearing untucked button downs with jeans is bad... hell, I think it looks a bit more odd to tuck with jeans if anything.

I dunno, maybe I'm outta the loop or something.

Anyway, I like wearing my shirts with jeans in that way, so anyone who wears them like that as well (and admits to it) or can help me here... please do. I'd appreciate it.

Oh and thanks for the welcome you guys.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
drizzt can help you.
smile.gif

jabreal00

Reaction score
I don't know your age, but if I were to guess you're probably college aged. Most people on this site will wear their shirts tucked even with jeans. Polos can be worn untucked. There are some military type shirts (long or short sleeve) that look decent untucked. For the other shirts that you have, you could always take it to a tailor or alterationist to get it shortened. Here is what I think is an appropriate length, just below the belt line or half way down the zipper. http://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/Urba...5_b?$prodmain$ http://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/Urba...0_b?$prodmain$

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow. Hard question. Button Down...but short enough to look good without tucking.

I think the way to resolve that is just tucking in. With the right shoes and sportcoat, you'll look like a million dollars. I'm in my 20s and I can tell you that not tucking your shirts is a sign that you have no money. Don't want the ladies to know if you want to get laid.

Today went to buy some new ones and everything (on the site as well) are all "fitted." This seems good since the ones I have are a bit wide towards the bottom, but I felt like everything was a bit too long... all covering my entire zipper.

Now, maybe they will shrink and come up an inch or so more like the ones I currently wear?

What is the length untucked button down shirts should be anyway? It seems the ones I have are JUST barely long enough to be tucked. So if I lift my arms, the shirt just reachs my belt. Is it that generally a good fit?

And if that is not a good fit, where can I find casual button downs? The ones I tried on today were also slightly long on the sleeve, but I roll my sleeves most of the time anyway...

*edit, if it helps, my measurements: chest - 39", neck - 15", sleeves: 32", waist: 30"[/quote]

Ringo

Reaction score
I think by "button down" the OP means dress shirts vs. t-shirts/polos, and not necessarily shirts with button-down collars.

Jay687

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jabreal00
I don't know your age, but if I were to guess you're probably college aged. Most people on this site will wear their shirts tucked even with jeans. Polos can be worn untucked. There are some military type shirts (long or short sleeve) that look decent untucked.

For the other shirts that you have, you could always take it to a tailor or alterationist to get it shortened.

Here is what I think is an appropriate length, just below the belt line or half way down the zipper.

http://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/Urba...5_b?$prodmain$

http://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/Urba...0_b?$prodmain$

Thanks, those pictures help a lot. Gonna go by that.

And, yes, I am college-aged, and thank you for the advice Coho, but I personally do like wearing these type of shirts untucked... so I'll stick with that for now.

Sorry this had been asked before, looking through those archived posts now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads