1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Where to find braces

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wgiceman, Jul 24, 2006.

1. wgiceman

wgiceman Senior Member

Hello everyone.
    I am new to the forum and want to express my thanks for all the valuable info shared by the members here.

I would like to obtain braces and I would like to know where I can possibly get decent quality items. Also, what colors would be recommended if I am wearing navy, charcoal, medimum gray, brown, british tan, or olive suits? Of course, I would assume that the braces would match the shoes. Thanks for the input.

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

http://www.albertthurston.com/

The braces themselves don't have to match the shoes, just the leather ends do. Unless they are white, which goes with everything. The color of the brace should complement, but not match, something else you are wearing: tie, shirt, or suit. Start with solid navy and wine, which are the most useful, and go from there.

3. grimslade

grimslade Stylish Dinosaur

STP has a bunch of different thurston suspenders on sale right now. Back up the truck...

A rule I've heard, although I don't know how religiously it's enforced (I'm violating it today), is that the leather bits should coordinate with your shoes. Beyond that, I try to pick up a color in my tie and/or shirt with my suspenders. Today, I am wearing indigo braces with a light-blue box weave, which approximates the light blue in a blue, white and orange shirt. (The shirt looks better than it sounds.)

4. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Distinguished Member

STP has a bunch of different thurston suspenders on sale right now. Back up the truck...

Plus $0.20 shipping thru this Friday and 20% off with this code (courtesy of chorse): IMAT128

Question, the retail price listed by STP is $90, those on Thurston site $66 and the ones I saw at Saks $195. What account for the price difference beside the the strap material (silk vs. cotton/nylon blend)?

5. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

Plus $0.20 shipping thru this Friday and 20% off with this code (courtesy of chorse): IMAT128

Question, the retail price listed by STP is $90, those on Thurston site $66 and the ones I saw at Saks $195. What account for the price difference beside the the strap material (silk vs. cotton/nylon blend)?

I would say a huge part of it is the Saks markup. They are $190+ at Nordstrom's as well. I've bought the pairs I have on Ebay, there's almost always a large selection of braces available at good prices.

6. SJX

SJX Senior Member

Albert Thurston boxcloth braces. Click here for sales forum post.