• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to eat in Venice & Rome?

kennethpollock

Reaction score
Heading off in about 10 days.
I see that Michelin is not overwealmed by either city, awarding only one Venice restaurant a single *. Rome does better; one place has *** (the famous La Pergola, by Mr. Beck, in the Cavalieri Hilton) and 6 places have a single *. Actually, with the weak dollar, the starred places are going to cost at least $350-400 per couple for dinner and La Pergola a lot more. We probably will not go to more than 2 starred places.
Anyone got any reccomendations for nice places (white tablecloths; no pizza)?

corbu

Reaction score
Right off of St. Mark's square in Venice are many streets (if you want to call them that) of restaurants that cater to tourists. Often times, they will have "American" meals, which is just a set price that lets you choose from several different appetizers, entrees, etc. For the price, they really can't be beat. Definitely try some black squid pasta. Its amazing.

As for Rome, I don't have any restaurant recommendations, but the best gelato shop in all of Italy is just outside the Vatican... and I tried gelato in every part of Italy. If youre leaving the main Vatican entry, take a left. It will be just down the street and is a tiny, tiny shop. The only other shop that comes close is Snoopy's in Cortona.

Are you flying from Venice to Rome? If not, I may be able to help with things to do in between those cities. I only spent a week in both of those places but then spent four months roaming the country side.

timeless

Reaction score
Make sure to try "Al Covo" in Venice...it's run by an American and her Italian husband....great food and atmosphere and reasonable prices...we ate there 3 times during our last stay. You can google it to read the reviews.

Trilby

Reaction score
Venice isn't a great city for food, but there are some decent choices. Do Mori is usually recommended as one of the best places to eat. I also like Vini da Gigio. However, I think the most enjoyable option if you're not starving is to have cicetti - basically small nibbles like tapas. Some wine and a selection of cicetti makes a very pleasant light meal.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would only recommend one place in Venice: Vini da Gigio on Fondamenta San Felice (make sure to make a reservation as they're usually booked up and don't take any walk-ins)

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For lunch or a light dinner, there's a lot of nice spots on Via Veneto in Rome. I had lunch at a little cafe that served up a really nice pan-seared salmon. IIRC, the meal and drinks were only about 45 euros.

WN2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I was just in Rome and know a place or 2 that were good, but I don't know if you want to go there, they might be a bit too 'low' for your taste...

Jon.

I'd like to know these. I'll be going there in 5 days.

ardeetee

Reaction score
I'll be going next weekend as well... specifically Rome and Florence. Any great restaurants, hopefully less than 100euro total for a couple, would be great!

Also good places for gelato/snacks (corbu: do you remember the name of the place you mentioned?)

Swann

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ardeetee
I'll be going next weekend as well... specifically Rome and Florence. Any great restaurants, hopefully less than 100euro total for a couple, would be great!

Also good places for gelato/snacks (corbu: do you remember the name of the place you mentioned?)

A few meteres away from Roberto Ugolinis shop: Trattoria La Casalinga, via de Michelozzi 9r. It is a nice and cheap restaurant and the bistecca fiorentina is really good. For gelato: Vivoli, via Isole delle Stinche, 7r.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads