• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to eat in Munich and Vienna

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will be traveling to Munich and Vienna over the holiday and I am seeking advice on what and where to eat. (Other threads have already told me what to do and where to shop.)

I have no real limitations--I will eat almost any cuisine and although I am poor, I have enough money to indulge in one or two extravagant meals.

If you suggest something that turns out to be extra nice, I will ship you back something nice (small--but nice).

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have found the local cuisines in both cities to be quite good and finding places pretty easy. The last time I spent much time in Munich was about 20 years ago so any recommendations are well out of date. Unfortunately, going this time of year means you miss out on the great outdoor gartens of breweries like Augustiner.

I have been to Vienna more recently, and the best meals I have had were all cooked at home with ingredients from the Naschmarkt. I had fantastic leg of lamb and chickens from there, plus there are lots of Asian and exotic foods on offer too - the market stretches a kilometer or more. After a night of drinking stop at one of the wurstel stands for a little kasekrainer, cheese stuffed sausage, which will help prevent a hangover.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Vienna there is a place called Kern's Beisel that is in the center of town. They serve an authentic Austrian meal and the prices are reasonable. Of course you can always just get a a sausage on the street that will be amazing too.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone will come on here and claim that its crap, but spend a few hours at the hofbrauhaus in Munich. Yes its touristy, but its damn fun. After a few hours (and a few maas) and the food isnt too bad.

K

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
Someone will come on here and claim that its crap, but spend a few hours at the hofbrauhaus in Munich. Yes its touristy, but its damn fun. After a few hours (and a few maas) and the food isnt too bad.

K

+1

also, in munich go to the train station and have a sausage or two from the stands. this may be some of the best sausage in the world, for a few bucks. german food really lends itself to street food

in vienna - have a snitzel at Fliglmuller's, a little touristy, but an excellent example of the food.

cafe demmel, excellent example of viennese sweets

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In Vienna, Cafe Demel's and Central are both quite good, I would also check out the various rustic style inns in the Grinzing area if you're interested in more authentic Viennese cuisine. For higher end cuisine, the hotel-restaurant Sacher is a classic and sets a good table, their lamb is quite excellent.

dimshum

Reaction score
If you want a true beergarden experience, visit the Augustiner Biergarten. It is the best beer in Munich, hands down.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dimshum
If you want a true beergarden experience, visit the Augustiner Biergarten. It is the best beer in Munich, hands down.

I'm pretty sure the garten is closed this time of year. That's the reason I liked to go there apart from the great beer (and a fantastic cucumber salad too), but the keller rooms have their charm in cold weather.

The Hofbrau is worth an afternoon and the roasted chicken is nice. I recall Paulaner had a tavern with beer tapped from wooden kegs, but that was 20 years ago.

In Vienna, I would choose goulash over schnitzel for local fare, and get the version with the big dumpling in it. I once had a fantastic wild boar goulash in Salzburg and winter is probably the best time for wild game in the region. There is also good Turkish fare when you need something different and don't want to spend a lot.

Star

Reaction score
Ive been too Vienna a few times while in transit and managed meals at random places. I was there once with my father and we stopped somewhere for Coffee and Cake (Tort). We found it was cheaper to order a 'Steinkrug' of Beer with our cake than a coffee. It was quite surreal sipping on beer and devouring cake.
smile.gif

tom288

Reaction score
Another great place to check out in Munich is the local market, I forget the German name. It has a lot of nice little shops with cheese, wine, food, even a butcher's shop. You can get horseburgers there as well. Definitely a nice little place to just stroll around.

Another +1 for the Hofbrahaus, it is touristy but it's worth checking out.

As far as what to eat, you need to try Weisswurst, a Munich specialty. I didn't particularly care for it and preferred some of their other sausages, but you need to try it.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tom288
Another great place to check out in Munich is the local market, t.

viktualmarkt

mechanical pencil

Reaction score
I once went to a little restaurant in the Vienna cemetery. Kind of a pain to
get to but the food was great and the vibe was very surreal!
All candlelight...

Amazing sausages at the subway station near the ostbanhof. Amazing old-school Viennese cafe under
the hotel furstenhof right there too! Cranky waiters with little bowties, very high ceilings, many tasty coffees...

Ahhh, Wein...

soulstylist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
viktualmarkt

Viktualienmarkt - yes, nice.

...in Munich the Tantris is one of the better high end places to dine. Not cheap but worth it. (this would have been one of the one or two nicer meals)...

Hippyish Place, good for breakfast or a break - Cafe Aroma, Pestalozzistr. (Quite central)

A bit late so the OP won't be able to use this information but maybe someone will use the search before he goes to Munich sometime...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics