• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to buy thornproof waxed jacked (at best: bespoke)?

MFWL

Reaction score
Dear all,

Today, I unfortunately learned that the recent Barbour made jackets (Border and Northumbria) are only available as silkoil version. Apparently, they use this material now for many years. Since I am used to the "classic" material, finish and smell of the thornproof Barbour jackets (which my first and only jacket, which I used for more than 20 year, still had), I am not looking for an alternative.

Does anyone have a hint, where I could find a jacket similar to the Border/Northumbria cut and made from thornproof waxed cotton? If possible with the option to buy a bespoke made one?

I know that there used to be a manufacturer named Claymore Jackets (don't know if they offered thornproof, but the sold bespoke jackets), but the website seems to be down for a while now.

Many thanks!

Best regards,

Max

MFWL

Reaction score
The Border is definitely available in thornproof.
Hm. Unfortunately, the (UK) Barbour website blocks access from Germany.... respectively routes to the German website, only. Impossible for a non-IT-geek as I am to visit the English language page.

The official (German?) Barbour customer service informed me es follows:

The Northumbria model is only offered with our Sylkoil.

Our Bedale, Beaufort, Brisol and Ashby models are offered in our Thornproof wax.

The Barbour wax is composed of refined hydrocarbon waxes.
It is not water soluble, making it particularly well suited as a water repellent waterproofing agent.

It does not contain any allergens or skin-damaging ingredients and is therefore harmless in direct skin contact. The Barbour wax is non-toxic, odorless and environmentally friendly.

And later:

The production process of the cotton used has not changed since 1994, nor has our wax since then.

We will be happy to send you a brief explanation of the production process of the cotton types.

SYLKOIL
Barbour's oldest and most characteristic waxed cotton is the Sylkoil Wax Cotton. The cotton is dyed and waxed coming directly from the loom. The fabric therefore has a slightly downy surface and has natural unevenness. It is soft to the touch and has a slightly waxy feel due to the higher oil content of the wax.

THORNPROOF
Barbour's Thornproof Wax Cotton is a calendered cotton that is given a slightly glossy look and even feel by being smoothed with rollers. Due to the smooth surface of the cotton and the oil content in the wax, Thornproof Wax Cotton has a distinct waxy feel. The material is very robust and particularly resistant to tears or pulling threads caused by thorny plants - hence the name 'Thornproof' ('thorn-proof').

We hope that we have been able to help you in this way and remain

with kind regards

Barbour Customer Service

So, to cut a long story short: It seems as if German customers shall not buy thornproof Borders...

Best,

Max

Shetterd

Reaction score
Have you gotten in touch with Private White? A lot of people quite like their Twin Track. I don't think that's what you're looking for, but they used to do a lot of MTO, so might be worth getting in touch with them to check if they have got some Thornproof cotton and could perhaps make it up in that model?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Why don’t you just search for a retailer that ships to Germany? Barbour doesn’t sell direct anyway. I know some uk retailers won’t ship Barbour to the USA but there are many who do. I don’t know if there are similar restrictions for Germany.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads