• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Where to buy suit?

fedexboxes

Reaction score
hello,
I need a suit in a couple of days for an interview. This will be my first suit purchase and wanted to know where i should look, what brand, style and color to look for. What seems to be the concensus on the good quality/value suits? Also, what range should i be looking at? I'd rather not spend 1k, but would spend $500 if the value is much better than say $250. So, far i've tried on a black calvin klein (wrong color for interview?) at nordstrom; price was regular price was $500 but on sale for $260. Also, what is the avg. wait time for alterations? I was told a week at Nordstrom Rack. Any suggestions/tips would help me. thanks in advance.

rjacobs

Reaction score
What do you look like? (height/weight/pic etc.) - different brands fit different people. Navy and charcoal are probablt the safest colors for a first suit

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clearly, time is a factor. Simpler alterations can often be done in a day or two if needed--ask a tailor.

gladiator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjacobs
What do you look like? (height/weight/pic etc.) - different brands fit different people. Navy and charcoal are probablt the safest colors for a first suit

I'm not sure if I should TC, but I'm in the same situation and don't want to start too many topics.

I'm 5'8", 135lbs "small boned" (I have very tiny wrists). Also in the market for a suit for interviews/ weddings.

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fedexboxes
hello,
I need a suit in a couple of days for an interview. This will be my first suit purchase and wanted to know where i should look, what brand, style and color to look for. What seems to be the concensus on the good quality/value suits? Also, what range should i be looking at? I'd rather not spend 1k, but would spend $500 if the value is much better than say $250. So, far i've tried on a black calvin klein (wrong color for interview?) at nordstrom; price was regular price was $500 but on sale for $260. Also, what is the avg. wait time for alterations? I was told a week at Nordstrom Rack. Any suggestions/tips would help me. thanks in advance.

A charcoal or dark navy suit would be a good bet. At Nordstrom Rack, you may not have a lot of choices though. If you can find a Hickey Freeman suit at a good price at Nordstrom Rack, that would be a solid suit. Some people have commented that Burberry (Made in USA) suits are also made by Hickey Freeman. Joseph Abboud suits are a few notches lower in price and quality but are also made in the USA and may fit your budget and body type.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.