• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to buy suit for dental school interviews??? Please HELP

aspiringdds

Reaction score
Okay so I have a few interviews lined up in September a need a suit! I've pretty much decided to go with a charcoal colored suit but have no idea where to buy it from. I was at Macy's today and tried on an Alfani suit which I guess was nice, but I don't know anything about quality.

Any advice of where I should be looking...I would prefer to not spend more than 400 bucks on the suit itself. Let me know what you all think.

Lastly, I felt it would be cool to kind of incorporate school colors within the tie but would this come off as unprofessional?

CrAz3D

Reaction score
So long as the colors aren't too bright. Dress for an interview should be...boring (from my understanding). Maybe not boring, but definitely "safe".

$400 means you're spending $300 on the suit and $100 on getting it to fit (hem the pants, let them in/out, jacket sleeves, etc).

Lots of people here knock Joseph Bank and MensWearhouse stuff (as we all should), but, for the money, it's difficult to beat unless you luck out. You can get a decent lookin off the rack suit from JAB for $200 or so. It isn't something you're going to wear throughout your career, but you're starting off, so it isn't bad given the context.

Reaction score
Hey,
I bought mine for medical school interviews at macys about a month ago. Watch for their big sales, they should have another one day sale at the end of the month. those sales are by far the best. I went with the Tommy Hilfiger sharkskin blue suit which is normally $550 and I got it for $130. Another tip, open a macys checking the day you buy it and you save an additional 20%.

The biggest rule about buying your suit is going to be making sure the shoulders fit nice and snug (no football pad look) and that the butt and crotch fit right. Everything else can be tailored. Proper tailoring will beat a quality suit with bad fit everytime so dont worry about buying the nicest suit as much as buying the one that fits the best. On my suit, I will be tailoring the legs on the pants. Taking in the jacket a little to give more of an hour glass look, and taking in the sleeves because I like my clothes to fit very trim. Hope this helps.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats on taking the next step towards your career. I remember interviewing for medical school ~5 years ago . . . boxy black suits EVERYWHERE. It'll be the same for dental school. Virtually everyone will be wearing an ill-fitting black suit, sometimes with the thread holding together the vents still intact, with scuffed up slip-on Payless black shoes. It's an exercise in fashion disasters.

That said, I certainly wasn't much better at that time I'm sure. So you're already way ahead of the curve.

If applications/traveling for dental school are anything like medical school, keeping costs down is gonna be important. Honestly if you're looking for an inexpensive suit and don't have weird body proportions, a suit at Macy's (or even the occasional gem found at Marshall's) could certainly do the trick. Ensuring it's well-tailored will set you way above the rest of the applicants. Charcoal is a great choice. Invest in a pair of decent cap-toe oxfords (don't have to break the bank here, but don't settle for $50 shoes either if you can help it). I'd probably avoid trying to hype up the school's colors (I assume you mean wear a tie to complement each school's colors at which you interview?). This may come off as a bit try-hard, if they do notice. Just stick with something simple (charcoal suit, white shirt, burgundy or navy pinpoint tie, etc).

Others here are more well-versed in the world of suits I'm sure, and may have better suggestions. But I do remember what it's like to be in your position, and understand that by doing the stuff I mentioned (which probably borders on peasantry around here) will automatically make you 100x better-looking than your fellow applicants.

aspiringdds

Reaction score
Wow thanks for such rapid responses everyone! Yes expenses are definitely up there, already have dropped 2K and haven't even booked hotels, flights, etc yet.

I could see where wearing school colors could make it seem like I'm trying too hard. As mentioned I will probably just do the white shirt with a navy tie.

Also thank you for the shoe advice. I was going to wear some florsheim's with a square toe that I already own but will probably pick up a pair of those oxford's.

Thanks everyone who commented and please continue to do so, I am noting everything mentioned here!

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good luck in your shopping and the interview, anything you can use from your dad?

$400 may get you a good Ted baker suit, not the best construction but well designed

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you know your size, check out the sales on bluefly or yoox. Would aim for Hickey at that pricepoint.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also thank you for the shoe advice. I was going to wear some florsheim's with a square toe that I already own but will probably pick up a pair of those oxford's.

Please ditch those square toed Florsheims. You really don't have to break the bank, but something like this will do wonder for your look overall:

http://www.amazon.com/Johnston-Murphy-Mens-Melton-Oxford/dp/B000UUGZN6

You can literally get these on ebay very gently used for ~$20-40. They're all over ebay. They're corrected grain (so not as high quality leather as something with fullgrain leather), but are infinitely better than what most people wear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics