• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to buy suit cloth in nyc?

jerseyguy

Reaction score
For all you nyc people:

I am traveling to India in a few days for three weeks and am hoping to get some suits stitched. My relatives tell me that fabric selection there is decent, but not great, so I was thinking of taking the fabric from here. What's a good place in NYC that would have a good selection of patterns for a good price? How much does cloth generally cost? And how much (length) do I need for a two-piece 46R suit?

I read in another thread that "Tip Top" was a good place to buy fabric, but I've searched the yellow pages and the only one I can find is on 6th avenue and it is a sportswear shop. Could someone elaborate on where it is if it still exists and/or give the phone number?

Finally, I was thinking that I could take the lining and buttons too. The lining on most high end suits seems to be Bemberg (?) but I am not quite sure what that is. Is silk a better choice for the lining? If so, where could I get some whimsical patterns -- or should I just try and get that in India? I think I have also read that "horn" buttons are the best -- is there anything better and does anyone have any idea where I could get them?

Thanks in advance for your help.

aarghh

Reaction score
Bemberg is a kind of rayon. Silk is better, and most decent tailors in India should be able to supply a silk lining.

Where in India are you planning to get your suit tailored?

jerseyguy

Reaction score
I will be in both Bangalore and Chennai, but my cousin knows a good tailor in Bangalore who made the suit he got married in, so I will probably get it made there.

banksmiranda

Reaction score
Tip Top Super Fine Fabrics
675 Manhattan Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11222

tel: (718) 609-1506

jerseyguy

Reaction score
Thanks for the help.

Does anyone have any advice regarding the buttons?

tlfurbay

Reaction score
Tip Top is great. You will need approx. 4 to 4.25 yards.

tlfurbay

Reaction score
When making suits I always use horn blend buttons.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When making suits I always use horn blend buttons.
What's "Horn blend?"  I know what horn buttons look like, I don't think you can make buttons from hornblende, and I don't know how you would blend horn with anything.

banksmiranda

Reaction score
You can find horn buttons at Atlanta Thread Co. or Sew-True: http://www.atlantathread.com http://www.sewtrue.com I gather that you're in NJ. Sew-True is in NYC, so if you have time you could pay a visit and see what they have before buying. You can, of course, buy from their web site. Atlanta Thread and Sew-True offer many of the same products.

HitMan009

Reaction score
banksmiranda

Do you know where I can buy real mother of pearl buttons? I want to replace the plastic buttons on a few of my dress shirts. Preferably a place in NYC. By the way, I would like thank you for sharing your wealth of knowledge.

-HitMan009

banksmiranda

Reaction score
HitMan009, PM or email me about what type (shape, thickness, diameter in either millimeters or ligne) of MOP button you are looking for.  I'm 99% sure I'll be able to provide you further information and get you what you need.

banksmiranda

Reaction score
More sources for fabrics:

Atlas International Textile
16 Lake Ave
Monroe, NY 10950
tel: (845) 783-2922

A & G Lintex Inc
35 W 35th St
New York, NY 10001
tel: (212) 594-4462

Modern Woolens
129 Orchard St
New York, NY 10002
tel: (212) 473-6780

HitMan009

Reaction score
banksmiranda, your knowledge in this area is simply amazing. While browsing through delancey.st in NYC, I stumbled upon this store. It's actually a corner store so finding it won't be too hard..
tounge.gif
D. Singer Textile Co. 55 Delancey St.(corner of Eldridge St.) New York, NY 10002 (212) 925-4818 Fax: (212)925-4109

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics