1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Where to buy suit cloth in nyc?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jerseyguy, Aug 6, 2004.

1. jerseyguy

jerseyguy Well-Known Member

For all you nyc people:

I am traveling to India in a few days for three weeks and am hoping to get some suits stitched. My relatives tell me that fabric selection there is decent, but not great, so I was thinking of taking the fabric from here. What's a good place in NYC that would have a good selection of patterns for a good price? How much does cloth generally cost? And how much (length) do I need for a two-piece 46R suit?

I read in another thread that "Tip Top" was a good place to buy fabric, but I've searched the yellow pages and the only one I can find is on 6th avenue and it is a sportswear shop. Could someone elaborate on where it is if it still exists and/or give the phone number?

Finally, I was thinking that I could take the lining and buttons too. The lining on most high end suits seems to be Bemberg (?) but I am not quite sure what that is. Is silk a better choice for the lining? If so, where could I get some whimsical patterns -- or should I just try and get that in India? I think I have also read that "horn" buttons are the best -- is there anything better and does anyone have any idea where I could get them?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. aarghh

aarghh Senior member

Bemberg is a kind of rayon. Silk is better, and most decent tailors in India should be able to supply a silk lining.

Where in India are you planning to get your suit tailored?

3. jerseyguy

I will be in both Bangalore and Chennai, but my cousin knows a good tailor in Bangalore who made the suit he got married in, so I will probably get it made there.

4. banksmiranda

banksmiranda Senior member

Tip Top Super Fine Fabrics
    675 Manhattan Ave
    Brooklyn, NY 11222

tel: (718) 609-1506

5. jerseyguy

Thanks for the help.

Does anyone have any advice regarding the buttons?

6. tlfurbay

tlfurbay Active Member

Tip Top is great. You will need approx. 4 to 4.25 yards.

7. tlfurbay

tlfurbay Active Member

When making suits I always use horn blend buttons.

8. jerseyguy

any idea where I can get them?

9. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

What's "Horn blend?"  I know what horn buttons look like, I don't think you can make buttons from hornblende, and I don't know how you would blend horn with anything.

10. banksmiranda

You can find horn buttons at Atlanta Thread Co. or Sew-True: http://www.atlantathread.com http://www.sewtrue.com I gather that you're in NJ. Sew-True is in NYC, so if you have time you could pay a visit and see what they have before buying. You can, of course, buy from their web site. Atlanta Thread and Sew-True offer many of the same products.

11. housemaidsknee

housemaidsknee Senior member

any good tailors in bombay/ahmedabad for business suits?

12. HitMan009

HitMan009 Senior member

banksmiranda

Do you know where I can buy real mother of pearl buttons? I want to replace the plastic buttons on a few of my dress shirts. Preferably a place in NYC. By the way, I would like thank you for sharing your wealth of knowledge.

-HitMan009

13. banksmiranda

HitMan009, PM or email me about what type (shape, thickness, diameter in either millimeters or ligne) of MOP button you are looking for.  I'm 99% sure I'll be able to provide you further information and get you what you need.

14. banksmiranda

More sources for fabrics:

Atlas International Textile
    16 Lake Ave
    Monroe, NY 10950
    tel: (845) 783-2922

A & G Lintex Inc
    35 W 35th St
    New York, NY 10001
    tel: (212) 594-4462

Modern Woolens
    129 Orchard St
    New York, NY 10002
    tel: (212) 473-6780

15. HitMan009

HitMan009 Senior member

banksmiranda, your knowledge in this area is simply amazing. While browsing through delancey.st in NYC, I stumbled upon this store. It's actually a corner store so finding it won't be too hard.. [​IMG] D. Singer Textile Co. 55 Delancey St.(corner of Eldridge St.) New York, NY 10002 (212) 925-4818 Fax: (212)925-4109

16. banksmiranda

HitMan009, thanks for the tip.  Next time I'm in NYC I'll try to look up D. Singer.

17. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

A & g lintex is now Tip top in Brooklyn or Baron Textiles on 40th Street. Baron does not have a great inventory,

Beckenstein on West 39th street has an excellent selection of woolens.
    212 475-6666 is the phone #

You can Contact me for MOP buttons.

There is a tailoring supply store on Orchard near grand street that has great bemberg linings. Sorry i can't think of the name right now. Lots of vintage fancy patterns.

silk is hot. go for the Bemeberg lining.

Singer is not what they used to be. They might still have mohair suitings in stock.

18. banksmiranda

Keep in mind that Beckenstein is not your average jobber. Beckenstein is also the US agent for Scabal/Wain Shiell, so prices may not be as good as those at Tip Top and other merchants.

19. banksmiranda

Feld Fabrics Co.
    80 Greenwood Avenue, #3
    Midland Park, NJ 07432
    tel: (201) 493-1300

20. Alias

Alias Senior member

For those of us not in NYC, it's a pity there aren't many fabric stores available through the Internet. [​IMG]