1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Where to buy silk knots

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hobo, Mar 14, 2006.

1. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

What is a good place to buy silk knots cheap? They dont have to be silk. I want to wear silk knots as an easy and neutral alternative to links.

2. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

Most men's stores carry them and prices vary by store. Just ask if they have any and they'll bring out a few or a bunch. Brooks always has them. Someone posted an ebay seller with them for as low as $2/pair, but I forgot to add them to my favorites.

3. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

Bergdorf has a good selection.

4. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I saw some very nice, smaller knots at Saks two weeks ago. My chief complaint with silk knots is the difficulty in fitting them through the buttonhole. A smaller knot would make it easier.

5. demo5

demo5 Senior member

I just purchased 10 pairs from this seller in China on ebay:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZwalalahapipiQQhtZ-1

The knots seem to be of good quality, and they arrived in about 9 days. They did screw up and give me one pair that was not a color I had asked for instead of the ones I wanted, but these things happen. At any rate, their prices are quite reasonable and they look to be as good as Brooks Brothers, with a lot more color selection.

6. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

7. dah328

dah328 Senior member

I've also ordered from that ebay seller. The knots are noticeably smaller than knots you'd find anywhere else and they're not particularly durable. At $3 a pop, they might still be worth it if you just consider them disposable.

dan

8. demo5

demo5 Senior member

With regards tot he last post, I do not find the knots to be significantly different in size from any of my other knots, perhaps a tiny bit smaller, but that's it. Perhaps they've changed their knots?

9. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

I've also ordered from that ebay seller. The knots are noticeably smaller than knots you'd find anywhere else and they're not particularly durable. At $3 a pop, they might still be worth it if you just consider them disposable.

dan

Same experience. Also, I put the silk knots on the shirt cuffs before I put the shirt on which does affect their useful life. They're just too difficult to put on the standard way.

10. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Also, I put the silk knots on the shirt cuffs before I put the shirt on which does affect their useful life.
    How so?

11. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

How so?

When my hand goes through the cuff it stretches out the elastic connective material to its max, causing its elasticity to degrade over time(usage).

[​IMG]

12. Charley

Charley Senior member

Someone here or on AAAC posted a method for installing the cufflinks that works very well. I cannot recall their name, or I would gladly give them credit for the method.

Insert the cufflinks from the inside, from between the sides where they meet. Insert in one side, through the first layer of fabric. Then insert in the other one, again from the inside of the opening between the sides. Both of the link ends will between the turnbacks at this point with the sides joined. Finally complete the operation by poking them through to the outside of each cuff. Works very well for me with the knots, too.

13. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

Someone here or on AAAC posted a method for installing the cufflinks that works very well. I cannot recall their name, or I would gladly give them credit for the method.

Insert the cufflinks from the inside, from between the sides where they meet. Insert in one side, through the first layer of fabric. Then insert in the other one, again from the inside of the opening between the sides. Both of the link ends will between the turnbacks at this point with the sides joined. Finally complete the operation by poking them through to the outside of each cuff. Works very well for me with the knots, too.

thanks. this is useful.

14. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Senior member

One may also find silk knots at Thomas Pink (say what you will about their shirts, but they have a tremendous selection of silk knots, usually in a bowl by checkout), Tyrwhitt and Lewin.

I've also become quite fond of the silk barrel knots like these:

[​IMG]

15. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

highly recommend brooks brothers or thomas pink-- avoid the ones from Banana republic, as they fall apart and are very "short" between the knots, so they don't fit most shirts.

suggestion-- check the knot links for TWO strands that connect the knots, not just one strand; probably stretch out less and seem more durable/ long lasting this way.

16. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

It's really surprising that nobody is able to identify a good, midrange, reliable online vendor with reasonable prices.

17. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Senior member

It's really surprising that nobody is able to identify a good, midrange, reliable online vendor with reasonable prices.

What do you consider reasonably priced? Tyrwhitt's are only $7.50 /pair. I think that is a very reasonable price.

18. demo5

demo5 Senior member

The ebay seller in China has them for ~ $3.00/pair, and I think the quality is indistinguishable from Pink or Brooks Brothers.

19. dah328

dah328 Senior member

The ebay seller in China has them for ~ $3.00/pair, and I think the quality is indistinguishable from Pink or Brooks Brothers.
    The quality of those is anything but indistinguishable from Pink or BB. See posts 7 and 9 above.

20. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

The ones I have from China/HK have stretched and fallen apart within a year, while the ones I have from dept stores, BB, and other such "quality" stores have not. There is a difference.