where to buy shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sartorially senseless, Jul 12, 2006.

1. sartorially senseless

sartorially senseless Senior member

hey guys, looking for some advice on where to pick up some shirts. i dont want to spend more than say $30-$40cdn a shirt, but obviously want to pick up the best quality/fit/cut shirt that i can.

any advice is welcome.

2. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

3. sartorially senseless

yes sir, dress shirts (size if it matter is 15.5-16 34/35)

4. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Outlet malls, Walmart, Target, etc. are about your only choices.

5. Spencer Young

Spencer Young Senior member

That's a pretty strict budget. I'd probably go to secondhand shops and the like. Hopefully you could find a decent shirt (Banana Republic or so) and then have it tailored to fit.

6. jml90

jml90 Senior member

Try Marshall's TjMaxx etc. Macy's is also a fine choice for that price may not be top quality but they get the job done.

7. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

i dont want to spend more than say $30-$40cdn a shirt

I would add TJ Maxx, FB and Marshall's. And Ebay. Are you in Canada?

8. sartorially senseless

I would add TJ Maxx, FB and Marshall's. And Ebay. Are you in Canada?

yah in canada, ive hit up the winners here, tj maxx and ross dress for less down the states, and might hit up the outlet malls in seattle soon.

ebay, ive always questioned if something is real or not, but if you are paying under 40 i guess it doesnt really matter???

what would you suggest is the minimum then to get a half decent shirt that will last/look good.

9. JordanB

JordanB Senior member

The only problem is that you seem a little unclear of your size. 15.5 to 16 can be a large range. If you're really a 16, 15.5 will be way too tight. If you're really a 15.5, you'll look silly in a 16. I'd go to a decent store to at least get measured and maybe buy one nice shirt. Then get the others at a TJ Maxx sort of store.

10. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

what would you suggest is the minimum then to get a half decent shirt that will last/look good.

I think that you can get a serviceable shirt for $40(sales, discounters) but the fit may be problematic. But then fit can be an issue for a $500 OTR shirt, as well.

11. chicagobull

chicagobull Well-Known Member

I like Nordstrom Brand shirts, as well as Michael Kors for a good shirt that can be found under $40. Stay away from Express and Kenneth Cole. They may look nice, but quality is an issue with both if you plan on wearing these for work.

Your best bet is to check out Nordstrom Rack if they have them in your area. They have a great variety, and quality brands. Or, find a brand with a cut that you really like, then buy a bunch of their shirts when they go on sale. Also, Charles Tyrwhitt has a sale right now, with plenty of items at $39-49.

Oops. u are in Canada.. not sure about the conversion rate currently, but check out Nordstrom Rack if u get the chance

12. sartorially senseless

i asked a question a while back on the Charles Tyrwhitt and got mixed responses. I re-read that same thread and it contained a suggestion for the TM Lewin shirts. im leaing towards picking up some tm lewin shirts

as for the 15.5-16 comment, it depends really on the shirt maker. some shirts like the hugo boss fit well at 16, while others like the harry rosen house brand fit better at 15.5

13. rgpuppy

rgpuppy Active Member

i would suggest Jos A Banks...particularly if you need a full cut shirt, although their new Joseph line is a very nice trim fit.

Last weekend i picked up 3 shirts for a total of $98.00...i am sure you can get the same deal through the web site or catalog.

14. johnpemberton

johnpemberton Senior member

Try my store, I am within your budget, and have 50+ shirts listing next week too (at least 20 Hugo Boss shirts - lovely modern styles).

John

15. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Online shirtmakers Jantzen and Baron Boutique and get you mtm shirts roughly in your price range.