• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to buy quality ties online?

yaletownguy

Reaction score
Quick question for you guys (I apologize if this is in the wrong forum or asked before; I did a search but couldn't find anything quite on topic).

Apart from the B&S forum here (for those quick-draw McGraws lucky enough to send the first PM), where is a good place to buy quality ties? I don't care about "brand name" so much, although I am looking for quality Italian silk ties (with bright geometric patterns). New or used would be fine. I'm up in Canada and finding it very difficult to find ties I like for <$100/each. With the global economic/financial meltdown, I'm thinking, ideally, the price would be in the range of $30-$60 each.

Can anyone point a newbie in the right direction?

Thanks.

lizmasc

Reaction score
I don't know any particular stores that sells ties, or sells specifically ties, but if all else fail try ebay and search for ties, italian ties or whatever it is you want to search it for
bigstar[1].gif
smiley2.gif

Sebastian

Reaction score
Most English shirt makers have very affordable ties (especially when on sale). While they are not top notch, they are decent for the price IMO.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I buy most of my ties from the eBay sellers 'Cranko Auctions', 'EuropeanSilkCompany' and 'The Executives Lounge'...

1400PennAve

Reaction score
don't be fooled by all these Italian or European brands...they are mass produced just like all the rest and carry a hefty mark-up....you can find less expensive ties that look much better than and last longer than Italian and European brands...The tie may look nice but your wallet won't

Taxler

Reaction score
Is there any difference in the workmanship that goes into a mid-range and a higher quality tie, or is the only difference the quality of silk and linings? Ask another way, is folding a tie such a simple task that anyone can do it equally well?

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1400PennAve
www.thetiebar.com

As much as I admire what The Tie Bar is doing, the ties are made of thin material and are on the traditional end in terms of width at the tip (3.75" to 4"). I would prefer if they were 3.25" and of a thicker material. Critically, they ship via FedEx - you will get hit with additional charges for bringing them into Canada. Perhaps they will ship USPS, I'm not sure.

Originally Posted by yaletownguy
Apart from the B&S forum here (for those quick-draw McGraws lucky enough to send the first PM)...

Originally Posted by agavilanes
Browse the buying and selling forum. Pretty good deals there

Not so much for the reading, eh?

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yaletownguy
Quick question for you guys (I apologize if this is in the wrong forum or asked before; I did a search but couldn't find anything quite on topic).

Apart from the B&S forum here (for those quick-draw McGraws lucky enough to send the first PM), where is a good place to buy quality ties? I don't care about "brand name" so much, although I am looking for quality Italian silk ties (with bright geometric patterns). New or used would be fine. I'm up in Canada and finding it very difficult to find ties I like for <$100/each. With the global economic/financial meltdown, I'm thinking, ideally, the price would be in the range of $30-$60 each.

Can anyone point a newbie in the right direction?

Thanks.

Go for walk my friend. Holts and Harry's have a good sale every now and then and you pick up some good ties (Canali, Zegna) for under $60can then.

With the exchange rate what it is, it hard to beat that right now even on the B & S forum where can Canali sells for about $60us new.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads