• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to buy my next suit: Singapore, Australia (or online)?

David8

Reaction score
After getting educated a bit by reading through all kinds of topics on SF for several weeks, I came to the conclusion that I should get serious and go out to get my first proper suit.

Until now I only have in my wardrobe what I could find at the local shops around town and matched these few criteria: up to 400 Euro, ok fitting, brand which name I heard before. I did not went to the tailor with any of them, except for shortening the pants.

Now I would want to have something a little bit nicer, even though work does not demand the wearing of suits a lot for me - mostly dress pants and a shirt will do.

So now we come to the question which I would need some advice for. I am currently still working in Singapore, but my contract here is almost over, after which I will go back to Australia.

I have read (or at least some part of it) the thread 'Australian Members' and therefore started to worry about missing a potential opportunity when waiting after I arrived in Australia before buying my suit (even though I would not need it here in Singapore).

I have checked the local Brooks Brothers stores (which are not available in AU afaik) and found that one of the 1818 suits would seem to be a nice start. The only problem is that they are quite unreasonably priced: all roughly 1950SGD which equates to around 1575USD. Which, when I compare it to the BB.com website, seems to be almost double the price than in the US.

The options I have:
1) Buy something local in SG (BB or something different)
2) Buy something later in Australia
3) Try on a BB suit locally and then order online (I already feel guilty
eh.gif
)

What would you recommend?

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't quite understand why you are concerned to but a suit from a "brand which name I heard before". There's nothing greatly special about a BB 1818 suit, especially at that price. For that money you could get a suit MTM for you in Melbourne by a tailor that comes highly recommended on the Australian Members forum (P. Johnson). You could also pick up a Herringbone suit, which is of pretty good quality, even if you may not be aware of them.

I'm surprised you couldn't find a better deal in Singapore, but I don't know the market there that well.

David8

Reaction score
The criteria I listed above where the ones I used to apply in the past. Today I am less concerned about the brand name, but more about quality and fit.

I actually wouldnt say I know the SG market at all, it just seems to me that all the european and american names have a big surcharge on it. But I have to little knowledge to be able to assess if anything local/asian that I can find in the stores is of decent quality.

Thanks for your two recommendations, I will certainly look into them. Even though I will be living in Sydney and it might take some time till I will be in Melbourne again.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Iris tailor in Singapore. See Gerald Shen's threads here which show this to be a good option.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Australia sucks for buying suits. I know some aussies who travel to Singapore/H.K. to buy suits.

dbc

Reaction score
Iris is very good.

But you're 3.5 hours away from Hong Kong... go to WW Chan over a long weekend or something.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads