• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to buy dress shirts

Sugardaddy

Reaction score
Charles Tyrwhitt.
I have tried many, many brands and CT are the best. If you know your neck and sleeve length you just need to find the fit that's best for you (classic, slim, extra slim).
I can recommend their non-iron shirts. Also, try a cutaway (spread) collar, they are stylish (although, perhaps, a bit unusual in the US).

Jimmy D

Reaction score
I'm on the non-slim side of the scale but still find BB's "classic" fit is too big for me. I thought I had found my happy medium with Tyrwhitt but I've found that lately I've also experienced a lot of variety in quality at CT. They start out fitting a little better than BB in terms of not being so billowy but their collars wind up shrinking more and quicker than the rest of the shirt. I'm willing to spend a little more and perhaps I should try MTM at this point since there doesn't seem to be a quality happy medium for me between BB and CT. Perhaps in terms of OTR, a happy medium doesn't exist between these two.

Last edited:

Alpha11

Reaction score

I'm on the non-slim side of the scale but still find BB's "classic" fit is too big for me. I thought I had found my happy medium with Tyrwhitt but I've found that lately I've also experienced a lot of variety in quality at CT. They start out fitting a little better than BB in terms of not being so billowy but their collars wind up shrinking more and quicker than the rest of the shirt. I'm willing to spend a little more and perhaps I should try MTM at this point since there doesn't seem to be a quality happy medium for me between BB and CT. Perhaps in terms of OTR, a happy medium doesn't exist between these two.

Can I ask why you are not trying the Regent or Milano fit for BB if the Traditional and Madison are too "billowy" for you?

Last edited:

1skibum

Reaction score

Can I ask why you are not trying the Regent or Milano fit for BB if the Traditional and Madison are too "billowy" for you?

I ordered the milano and regent. I have to say the milano is perfect! $92 shirt for $45. I'm going to order more next sale.

Cashmoney

Reaction score
this is excellent advice. BB MTM is best value in dress shirts. BB gets collars and shoulders right. nothing else matters. the rest of the shirt can be done by a monkey. also, BB shirts are always appropriate for offices. their only rivals are the best british, french and italians brands.

Ryan Haase

Reaction score
I'm 6'0 and 160lbs and went with T.M. Lewin for my shirts. You can find deals where they have all their shirts for under $30 and free shipping. I actually found an ad on instagram where they were advertising it. I love the fit of their "fitted" style.

Wrong Crowd

Reaction score
I'm 6'0 and 160lbs and went with T.M. Lewin for my shirts. You can find deals where they have all their shirts for under $30 and free shipping. I actually found an ad on instagram where they were advertising it. I love the fit of their "fitted" style.

T. M. Lewin makes an excellent slim fit cut- I have one, but I wear it as a casual shirt, as the pattern is a bit louder and the material is not as nice as my BB or Zegna shirts. You're not going to find better quality at the price point you bought them at, though.

Also, member for over four years, and this is your first post? Glad you finally found a topic worth discussing.

Alfonso Guida

Reaction score
I get my dress shirts from Tresarti, an Italian brand producing high quality dress shirts.
They have a website and also an app that allows you to get measured with your smartphone. Price is definitely worth the quality

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, more expensive and better fitting shirts won't necessarily last longer than cheaper shirts. Cotton is cotton, it wears out--and gone are the days when your local shirtmaker would reverse or replace the frayed collars and cuffs. In my experience the expensive artisanal cottons often wear out faster, as they are softer and finer.

Second, I would focus on MTM shirts, especially given your specific size issues. Like many on this forum, I like Proper Cloth. If you live near NY it's a good idea to visit their Manhattan showroom for an in-person fitting, but not totally necessary; they are pretty good at guiding you through the online measurement steps, and you get one free adjustment on the first shirt. Good luck.

Citadel

Reaction score
I’d like some recommendations for off the rack shirts. Looking to buy pale blue and white in
17” neck
33/34” arm

no pockets

Want to buy 7-10 shirts for under $400.

TexasToast

Reaction score
I second Sugardaddy's suggestion of checking out Charles Tyrwhitt great shirts at a good price. They are currently running a 4 shirts for $200 deal, If I werent ordering a pair of shoes I'd be buying more shirts.

Citadel

Reaction score
I second Sugardaddy's suggestion of checking out Charles Tyrwhitt great shirts at a good price. They are currently running a 4 shirts for $200 deal, If I werent ordering a pair of shoes I'd be buying more shirts.

I’m surprised I’ve never heard of them, though the old guard I’m around very much back BB. Despite its decline in quality.

nsgmd

Reaction score
Yes, BB now only has alpha sizing which is a big step down as you can't get the right fit. I ordered from SM and will report back on its quality.

TexasToast

Reaction score
Yes, BB now only has alpha sizing which is a big step down as you can't get the right fit. I ordered from SM and will report back on its quality.
I would like to hear your opinions on SM for sure.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Consistent fit can be a problem with lower-end brands like CT and Lewin, as they often source from several different SE Asian countries--meaning different countries make shirts within the same brand and line. There are older threads on SF discussing the relative merits of budget dress shirts, look around.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads