• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to buy dress shirts

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is excellent advice. BB MTM is best value in dress shirts. BB gets collars and shoulders right. nothing else matters. the rest of the shirt can be done by a monkey. also, BB shirts are always appropriate for offices. their only rivals are the best british, french and italians brands.
Well...I would say sleeve length also matters. ;)

nsgmd

Reaction score
Yes, BB now only has alpha sizing which is a big step down as you can't get the right fit. I ordered from SM and will report back on its quality.

Just wanted to report back on SM. Sizing in the slim fit was similar to Milano BB. Quality is wonderful! BB was slightly thicker compared with SM twill but very comparable. Found my new dres shirt maker until BB decides to go back to traditional sizing.

rjc149

Reaction score
The Charles Tyrwhitt at the Oculus Mall WTC in NYC was still honoring the 3 for $99 promo the last time I was there earlier in the spring. If you can get this deal, the CT non-iron shirts are the best value for dress shirts I am aware of. I have 6 and so far I'm pretty pleased with them as $35 office grind shirts. Only slight shrinkage (which was welcome given that they are sized a little generously for this reason), no elbow rips so far (although those don't start happening until the shirts are a year or two old), and no heartache with ketchup or marinara sauce stains, which is a stark reality of my life.

Citadel

Reaction score
The Charles Tyrwhitt at the Oculus Mall WTC in NYC was still honoring the 3 for $99 promo the last time I was there earlier in the spring. If you can get this deal, the CT non-iron shirts are the best value for dress shirts I am aware of. I have 6 and so far I'm pretty pleased with them as $35 office grind shirts. Only slight shrinkage (which was welcome given that they are sized a little generously for this reason), no elbow rips so far (although those don't start happening until the shirts are a year or two old), and no heartache with ketchup or marinara sauce stains, which is a stark reality of my life.

stains are an ongoing issue I’d recommend tide to go sticks, it’s not perfect but usually helps quite a lot the faster you treat it.

rjc149

Reaction score
stains are an ongoing issue I’d recommend tide to go sticks, it’s not perfect but usually helps quite a lot the faster you treat it.
I've always got one on me! But I'm also referring to the slow but sure yellowing of the collar which just gets more stubborn as the shirt ages. White dress shirts are consumables, they don't age well and need replacement every few years or so.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always got one on me! But I'm also referring to the slow but sure yellowing of the collar which just gets more stubborn as the shirt ages. White dress shirts are consumables, they don't age well and need replacement every few years or so.

Have you tried Oxyclean? I've managed to prolong the lifespan of a good number of my Tyrwhitt shirts that way.

rjc149

Reaction score
Have you tried Oxyclean? I've managed to prolong the lifespan of a good number of my Tyrwhitt shirts that way.
I have not. By the time my white shirts need replacement, it's not just yellowing collars -- it's fairly significant shrinkage over many launderings. When it's uncomfortable to wear the shirt with the collar buttoned, it goes to Goodwill.

My 6 CT shirts were all purchased early this year (and I'll likely order another 6 to replace my shrunken bespoke shirts) so they're all pretty new, but I'll keep that tip in mind!

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have not. By the time my white shirts need replacement, it's not just yellowing collars -- it's fairly significant shrinkage over many launderings. When it's uncomfortable to wear the shirt with the collar buttoned, it goes to Goodwill.

My 6 CT shirts were all purchased early this year (and I'll likely order another 6 to replace my shrunken bespoke shirts) so they're all pretty new, but I'll keep that tip in mind!

Prior to using this method, I had a few CT shirts that were ready to be thrown out. The collars were stained and the shirts looked rough. One treatment later, they were back on their hangers in my closet and are approaching 10 years in use.

Oxygen bleach is also useful for preventing mildew on the north facing walls of my house. ;)

TexasToast

Reaction score
Before you guys throw away your shirts CT is running a trade in deal bring in 4 dress ***** or polos and you can get a new shirt free of course there are restrictions.

TexasToast

Reaction score
Correction:
Visit us in store and bring us your old shirt or polo - Tyrwhitt or not - to receive $10 off a new one. Bring in four and receive $40 off our shirt multibuy. Shirts and polos in good condition will be donated to those in need. You can redeem this offer at any Charles Tyrwhitt store. Terms & Conditions apply

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads