• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to buy designer ladies handbags

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
Hey all,

My fiance wants a new bag. Some Gucci hobo ... blah, blah, whatever.

I don't want to pay retail. I assume that many SFers have fashion savvy wives/sig others who may be able to help her find a nice bag at a discount. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Stand up for good taste and don't buy her a Gucci hobo.

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
^^

Touche, SoCal.

Might you at least follow up your wise cracks with a worthwhile suggestion.

Or should I just mug your grandma for her Birkin?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm with SoCal, but if you are set on Gucci, be careful buying them anywhere except an authorized seller or boutique, because styles like the hobo bag are probably amongst the most knocked-off items on the planet.

As for non-retail pricing, my advice would be hit the Gucci store during the sale or check out the online store for gucci.com, which also has sales sometimes. Nevertheless, a popular style or one that always sells well at retail probably won't be sold more cheaply unless it is used (or fake.)

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bluefly ocasionally has Gucci handbags available, along with other "higher" end brands.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beckwith
Bluefly ocasionally has Gucci handbags available, along with other "higher" end brands.

With brands like Gucci, I'm sometimes skeptical even of bluefly. They get their goods from reputable sources, so they aren't really to blame, but there was something of a scandal a few years back with people buying authentic bags from bluefly then switching them with fakes and returning them (IIRC, it was Prada). The return stockists in the warehouse aren't brand experts or trained for this and so simply returned them into the pool. These were then sold to other customers as authentic.

I believe now that Bluefly is much more careful and always gives you a money-back guarantee, nevertheless it is something to keep in mind (especially if you aren't a Gucci expert or don't live near a boutique). For popular styles, too, often all they'll give you is 10-20% off retail, which in many cases is less than the seasonal sale prices at the Gucci boutique.

Nevertheless, bluefly is definitely an option if you want to go that route and certainly safer than ebay or other online discounters.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
With brands like Gucci, I'm sometimes skeptical even of bluefly. They get their goods from reputable sources, so they aren't really to blame, but there was something of a scandal a few years back with people buying authentic bags from bluefly then switching them with fakes and returning them (IIRC, it was Prada). The return stockists in the warehouse aren't brand experts or trained for this and so simply returned them into the pool. These were then sold to other customers as authentic.

I believe now that Bluefly is much more careful and always gives you a money-back guarantee, nevertheless it is something to keep in mind (especially if you aren't a Gucci expert or don't live near a boutique). For popular styles, too, often all they'll give you is 10-20% off retail, which in many cases is less than the seasonal sale prices at the Gucci boutique.

Nevertheless, bluefly is definitely an option if you want to go that route.

I bought my wife a Prada bag and a pair of Gucci sunglasses from Amazon couple of years ago. We both thought they were fake. They didn't compare to her known authentic stuff. I returned them and would not buy luxury items from Amazon. Or Bluefly.

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
I suppose there is no secret society of women who spend countless hours on the internet discussing fashion and taking pictures of shoes/handbags to brag and/or sell them to other members of the society?

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LesterSnodgrass
I suppose there is no secret society of women who spend countless hours on the internet discussing fashion and taking pictures of shoes/handbags to brag and/or sell them to other members of the society?
http://forum.purseblog.com And yes, I sell some of this stuff though I don't stock Gucci.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Really for bags I would resort to www.yoox.com if you are looking for something discounted.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads