1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Where to buy cloth?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by k4lnamja, Sep 15, 2011.

1. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

Hello,

I need help. My cousin is getting married overseas (philipines) and he is buying his groomsmen (4 of them) tailored suits. But he said the cloths quality that he's found in the philipines ARE NOT of quality. So he asked me to find out. To be quite honest, I've never had a bespoke suit made for me so I don't know how much is too much/little or what is exactly great/good/bad.

All I know is I keep reading up on Loro Piana, E Zegna and Holland and Sherry. Grey would be an ideal color but he is open to others. I believe his budget for a full suit (cloth only) is around $200 USD. Will this be enough? He doesn't want linen as it looks formal but he wants the cloth to be of lightweight due to the climate in the philipines.

Can someone please point me in the right direction? I live in LA although I'll be moving to San Francisco next month. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

2. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Are you joking? There is no way you can get decent cloth with the above budget....

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  3. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

yeah $200 is not even close, and then theirs the bespoke aspect of this where you are even more off. You're looking at spending at least 4 times that per suit.

4. P-K-L

P-K-L Senior member

5. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

Actually, $200 for a suit length of cloth is eminently possible (I understood the $200 to be for cloth only). Dugdale Bros. New Fine Worsted would come in at about $150 for 4m, which should be more than enough for anyone.

6. orlagu

orlagu Senior member

How about this Super 130's Wool & Cashmere suiting from teh forvm's beloved seller, how6955?
    I bought 4 meters for my dad's tailored suit, fabric looks darker in real life but feels incredible.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  7. mlongano

mlongano Senior member

+1, $200.00 for the fabric should be no problem at all.

8. MrInvariant

MrInvariant Senior member

I have a suit made up in that exact cloth. It's not too bad but I can't really recommend it because it wrinkles quite easily and stays wrinkled.

9. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

Hmm. I'll def look into this but my friend has a certain price range so I think this may be the one.

I spoke to how6955 and he doesnt have any light grey cloth. I've to look elsewhere. Any ideas?

PKL, have you purchased from this seller or know anyone who has? Thoughts please?

Still looking for a place/seller. Please let me know.

Cheers

10. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

As already indicated before: HFW (Hardy/Minnis) is excellent but a little expensive. Service is outstanding. Dugdale Brothers: also good marks across the range. I would also recommend the good people at LBD Harrisons.

11. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

I have some ideas. Let me check my source and get back to you. Grey only? What measurement do you count as a "suit length?"

12. mlongano

mlongano Senior member

I've purchased from them twice this year with no problems whatsoever.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  13. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

I can help if you're willing to up your budget, might be able to point you in the right direction.

14. ohdannyboy

ohdannyboy Senior member

Sorry to revive a dead(ish) thread, but I was hoping to get your advice. I was wondering if someone could possibly advise how much cloth would be required for a sport coat, and if anybody had suggestions on site(s) to look at cloth (besides the one mentioned above)? I've got a few thoughts on some sportcoats I'd like to own, but I'm having trouble finding them

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  15. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

I think the standard is 2.5 yards for a coat, 4 yards for a suit.

I have some nice cloth here.