Where to buy car in DC area?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by kaxixi, Jan 11, 2011.

1. kaxixi

kaxixi Senior member

I need to buy a car. I have already decided on the model (Honda--not SF approved, but not up for discussion, either). I am wondering if I should buy in DC, MD, or VA? Where are the taxes lowest? Any recommended dealers?

Thanks.

2. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Regardless of where you buy, taxes will be assessed based on where you live. I lived in SC back in '04 and bought a new car in Gaithersburg, MD; I was charged appropriate to my state and county of residency down south. My experiences with Fitzgerald Auto Mall were fantastic -- got a new car (albeit a rarer, poorly-selling stickshift model) for an internet-published price about 30% below MSRP. They are not, however, a Honda dealer. Good luck!

3. burningbright

burningbright Senior member

I hear there's a sale going on over at Tom DeLay's house. Might wanna swing by there on the way home.

4. kaxixi

kaxixi Senior member

Regardless of where you buy, taxes will be assessed based on where you live. I lived in SC back in '04 and bought a new car in Gaithersburg, MD; I was charged appropriate to my state and county of residency down south.

My experiences with Fitzgerald Auto Mall were fantastic -- got a new car (albeit a rarer, poorly-selling stickshift model) for an internet-published price about 30% below MSRP. They are not, however, a Honda dealer.

Good luck!

Oh. That sucks--I think DC taxes are super high. Thanks, though.

5. dcg

dcg Senior member

Thread brings back fond memories of college. Is there still a Koons dealership down there? My (black) roommate used to get all fired up whenever their ads came on tv. When I would remark that it was probably just a family name, he would remind me that I was one of the 95% (this number varied but was always north of 90) of white people who were racist. [​IMG] Good times!

6. amstokesdb9

amstokesdb9 Senior member

should you be worrying about DC taxes? I doubt there are many dealerships actually in the district

7. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

Nobody buys cars within the district. Just NoVa and MD. the dealerships around here are like any other suburban strip type operation

8. .bishop

.bishop Senior member

call all the honda dealerships around. you dont need to be there to negotiate if you are buying new. dont be afraid to hang up on sales ppl, wait for a rainy day or the end of the month.